Dno

Discuss Dno in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Skyba

Hi, I'm a recently qualified spark and I'm looking to do a little private house bashing work to tie me over when the industrial commercial stuff from the agencies goes quiet so I'm planning on joining a scam. I've done very little in the way of domestic work and most of the industrial and stuff I've been doing has been new build and the boards I work on are usually 3 phase boards or larger single phase sub mains.

Anyway I went to a friends house today who would like his fuse board changing and its an old 4 way re-wireable board in which some DIYer has taken some T&E out of one of the fuses into a junction box which looks as if it feeds a garage circuit a shower and a cooker or something lol, inevitably this fuse blew spectacularly by the looks of it as the old fuse was in bits.

Anyway this job is going to be one of my jobs for my scam inspection, and all the dno seals are intact I was just wondering as I want to replace the tails also and the board has to be moved to the wall backing onto where the board is now due to spacing would it be better to get the supplier out to install a isolator?

If I was to just pull the fuse and break the seals and pretend it wasn't me would the scam assessor fail me as I haven't notified the supplier and asked them to come and sort it out?

Personally I'd like to get the isolator in and do it all properly but I live in Bristol and this is in Cornwall and the guy is a teacher so I would be a hassle to get them in to do it without me takin ages off of work.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I never work live, I have worked with idiots who have and I've refused to work with them, I had a zap as an apprentice not paying attention, never again.

I may upload some photos of the DIY stuff, it's remarkable really

In Brissol you'll be under WPD and probably EDF for meters - I know EDF definitely DONT fit isolators as company policy and I think you'll also have a hard time trying to get WPD to do one.

Therefore, as others have said, fit one yourself and get some 'bay seals!

In Brissol you'll be under WPD and probably EDF for meters - I know EDF definitely DONT fit isolators as company policy and I think you'll also have a hard time trying to get WPD to do one.

Therefore, as others have said, fit one yourself and get some 'bay seals!

its Cornwall the work is being done in and it's WPD. Looks like the fleabay option then.

Im guessing that most people doing Dom work are doing this as a general practice by the sounds of it.

Also if I'm pulling the fuse myself there's not real need for the isolator then really as I can work dead and then replace the fuse and the seals?

PIC_0004.jpgwell here`s some stuff that is remarkable ...or not...you make your mind up...
something that caught my eye today in town in Leeds:

PIC_0001.jpg

no probs there you think...
look closer

PIC_0002.jpg

this is the bus station in Leeds city centre and every one of `em is like that

PIC_0003.jpg

The Guy that should have put the posters up on the outside wants sacking, he's late again..

Those signs will have been wired by a sign fixer, not a sparky.
He's not realised his normal "Quality" workmanship will be on view to the whole World,, literally now.

I may upload some photos of the DIY stuff, it's remarkable really

If your gonna be taking on a bit of domestic work from now on, you will quickly get used to seeing jobs like that one , give it a month or two and you won't even raise an eyebrow! Lol

What you "should" do is get the DNO out to pop the fuse, you can then fit an isolator. Then the DNO will put the fuse back in and reseal.
It's very simple and should just be built into the price. Personally, I don't agree with breaking the law, however stupid it may be.

Around here Hydro seals are coded to the engineer that fits them so ebay seals are no good. That said, my local Hydro allow NIC Approved contractors to pull the fuses if using the correct PPE. If you get the DNO out they will charge I guess and do it when it suits them, not necessarily you. Personally I'd go with the fact that the fuse had no seal when you came to do the job. It ain't right but trying to do things correctly can be a nightmare sometimes.

I think some people make to big a deal about it. When I have ever had to get them out in the past for a emergency last Tuesday being most resent. I always find them to be great and normally get a handfull of seals off them. I suspect there my be a few jobs worths out there but I haven't come across one yet.

I think some people make to big a deal about it. When I have ever had to get them out in the past for a emergency last Tuesday being most resent. I always find them to be great and normally get a handfull of seals off them. I suspect there my be a few jobs worths out there but I haven't come across one yet.

It does sometimes take a few conversations before I get to the right person, but I have to agree with Elrick. I phone, tell em I need an isolator fitting (some charge, some don't), arrange a date, then after it's done I do the work.
Personally I think that we (as professional electricians) should be allowed to break the seal and pull the fuse (as long as we get the DNO involved with getting it resealed), but I don't stress that I can't.

I'm in bath, western power area, eps fit isolators at about £135. I would pull fuse then pull tails out of meter then pop fuse back for safety then fit gear then pull fuse to reconnect.

Pull the main fuse on a new smart meter & DNO will know within mins ! , this puts you in the soup stat and all your fake seals wont help you out of there fine + what ever else may follow .

A spark I know, a one man band, rings DNO and gives notice of a required isolator, tells them of a date convenient to his work diary and the customer. If DNO don't turn up he pulls fuse himself, fits an isolator and contacts them at end of the job and says it requires a seal. He has even done this to Smart meters and hasn't been pulled by DNO for it. Says if they ever take him to court over it he will produce the EAWR about not working live and will also inform of giving the DNO chance to attend but they were a no show, as a small business he can't afford to keep waiting on multi million pound companies to enable him to make a basic living.

I bet there isn't anyone here silly or foolish enough to try and isolate this service head fuse!! lol!!! I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to try!! lol!!​

I bet there isn't anyone here silly or foolish enough to try and isolate this service head fuse!! lol!!! I certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to try!! lol!!​

She's a beauty!

Reply to Dno in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net