Discuss Do I Connect Clean Earth On Metal Switched Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’m replacing old plastic light switches and sockets for metal ones. I’ve gone with BG Nexus range but I’m a little confused as to whether or not I need to connect a wire to the clean earth connection. Looking at the wiring diagram it is not used. I know I need to run a fly lead from the switch to the back box but looking at the diagram there are two earth wires leaving the earth socket. One will go to the back box but where does the other one go to?
I’ve also read on a forum that I should run a link between the clean earth and the earth socket.....or do I just leave it empty.
Thanks in advance.
Do I Connect Clean Earth On Metal Switched Socket {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Then looking at the diagram for the double sockets has me more confused. The pic on the right I can understand but the one on the left is baffling. I know the 2 earths are linked with a bar so effectively one but can someone explain what the functional earth is on the left please
Do I Connect Clean Earth On Metal Switched Socket {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

You need to bin those instructions.
To start with, there is no Regulation 607.
A clean earth is nothing to do with computers, it’s something to do with audio/visual equipment.
Functional earth is for equipment that requires a connection to earth in order to function.

The second terminal is there so you can install extra CPCs for computer equipment, lots of carp about this online, but basically in your case forget all about it and connect your CPC to either terminal

It is for circuits with high inherent leakage to earth and where the loss of an earth to a socket could create a hazard. For a ring final circuit which incorporates two cpcs (circuit protective conductor or earth) you connect one into each so the theory being both would have to fail for you to lose the earth. Nothing to concern you.

I have seen some FCUs, where there are two Earth terminals, which were not connected together.
I just figured they were faulty, but apparently they are used for clean earths.
One terminal is a parking terminal for the CPC, and the other connects to the load side earth so you can run a separate clean earth.

I have seen some FCUs, where there are two Earth terminals, which were not connected together.
I just figured they were faulty, but apparently they are used for clean earths.
One terminal is a parking terminal for the CPC, and the other connects to the load side earth so you can run a separate clean earth.
I'm sorry but you've lost me there......

The second terminal is there so you can install extra CPCs for computer equipment, lots of carp about this online, but basically in your case forget all about it and connect your CPC to either terminal
....and the fly lead to earth the back box? Can I use any terminal for that?

Reply to Do I Connect Clean Earth On Metal Switched Socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock