Discuss Do I Have To Have A Proving Unit ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

Juts a quick question

Do you HAVE to have a proving unit for you NIC Or Elecsa assessment ??
Will I be expected to have one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Magic-sid
No just most people use them but you need to prove on a known supply ie cu incomming then main switch outgoing then back to cu incomming etc
Regards
Kung.
Prove unit test circuit is dead then prove unit again doesnt matter if on proving unit or known supply as long as you do it !

Thats ok then, a friend of mine had his NIC yearly visit and he had to use his proving unit.. maybe he was just a one off!

I wont bother buying one then... They aint cheap either for what they are.. esspecially when there not needed!

Only thing they do is prove tester is working doesnt prove if there is a power cut thats why i use supply to prove unit and if tester doesnt work i resort to my test lamp.

Thats ok then, a friend of mine had his NIC yearly visit and he had to use his proving unit.. maybe he was just a one off!

I wont bother buying one then... They aint cheap either for what they are.. esspecially when there not needed!

He would be required to prove tester working but its not a requirement to use a proving unit supply will do.
Regards
Kung.

Juts a quick question

had my nic visit last week no prooving unit required was happy with volt meter martindale type with the lights alongside values but he did comment he dident like using multi meter as meter could be set to wrong setting

Juts a quick question

hi there

not to mean any offense

why would NOT have one surely it is better to prove the tester before and after use it is just plain common sense to make sure it is dead before commencing work ?? :)

cheers

Prove tester on proving unit or KNOWN SUPPLY ! doesnt have to have one just prove one way or other at the price they are its a rip off and just because they prove tester is working they dont prove there isnt a power cut thats why i test incomming to main switch then out going then incomming (prove tester prove dead prove tester)

Prove tester on proving unit or KNOWN SUPPLY ! doesnt have to have one just prove one way or other at the price they are its a rip off and just because they prove tester is working they dont prove there isnt a power cut thats why i test incomming to main switch then out going then incomming (prove tester prove dead prove tester)

hi there
you have a pint but the humble volt stick can help in the power cut aspect as a guidance of course no way would i rly on a volt stick to prove dead :eek:

cheers
:D

nor would i thats why i always double check with my test lamp when i was at southern electric we had loads of faulty volt sticks mine you had to flick now and then ! some prof lol

hi kung, nic man liked to see proving unit at my recent assessment ;)
just out of interest how would you prove your tester in the power cut scenario when you havent got a known source :confused:
still a very handy bit of kit for the toolbox ;)

hi kung, nic man liked to see proving unit at my recent assessment ;)
just out of interest how would you prove your tester in the power cut scenario when you havent got a known source :confused:
still a very handy bit of kit for the toolbox ;)

Hi Flukey
I would turn main switch back on and try lights etc but yes the proving unit is handy just think their well overpriced for what they are unless you can get a cheap one. my voltage tester has a self test function as well its a steinel combi check german made rated upto 660v ac/dc with that and voltstick and multimeter and test lamp etc i could prove power cut as well as the turn main switch on and check lights etc
Regards
Kung.
I do however have a proving unit for my test lamp.

Reply to Do I Have To Have A Proving Unit ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock