Discuss Do i have to pay Building control?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisgc

Hi all,

I am considering joining NICEIC (mainly because most of the general public presume you should be with these) BUT my question is regarding the assesment and the building control.

For my major job which I would be assessed on:

1) Do i have to inform building control prior to any commencement of works?

&

2) Do I have to pay my local council office (Building Control) for them to come and assess work after completion?

Reason I ask this is because obviously I would be paying NICEIC assessor prior to visit to come and inspect to enable me to become a competant person OR do i have to pay buiding control as well as?

Chris

Hi all,

I am considering joining NICEIC (mainly because most of the general public presume you should be with these) BUT my question is regarding the assesment and the building control.

For my major job which I would be assessed on:

1) Do i have to inform building control prior to any commencement of works?

&

2) Do I have to pay my local council office (Building Control) for them to come and assess work after completion?

Reason I ask this is because obviously I would be paying NICEIC assessor prior to visit to come and inspect to enable me to become a competant person OR do i have to pay buiding control as well as?

Chris

Hi

The answer to both your questions would be YES, you have to notify BC and pay a fee which would include the inspection to BC.:D

So I have to pay NIC to asses my works?

AND Building control I have to pay to certify it??

Can I not just inform building control that I am being assessed THEN AND IF NICEIC pass me I can certify my piece then instead of paying local buiding control?

Chris

Can I not just inform building control that I am being assessed THEN AND IF NICEIC pass me I can certify my piece then instead of paying local buiding control?

Chris

Sorry bud but thats the way it is, ridiculous i know, all they want to do is take money off you left right and centre:(

Chris

I'm afraid it doesn't work like that, would be nice if it did. If you are not registered then you have to inform BC of any notifyable work you intend on doing! I spoke to NIC about this a while ago as I was in the same position and they said they would want to see my BC application, or something on those lines. But basically you have to pay for both, it's cruel I know.......;)

I did not inform the BC about the extension I did, I showed the elecsa bloke and he was happy with the work that I did and never asked about LABC (its just another stealth tax)

but saying that you should cover your self if the BC are involved (I had a m8 that would have signed off the work if I had not have passed) best to change your mains board the shown the nic.

It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take.....!:D

that was quick brightspark I did not even get chance to add to my reply

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you have a certain period of time after the work has been carried out in which to inform the building control....... could this not provide the time overlap when you could have your assessment.....

Last edited:
yes its enough. been talking to labc and nic recently. its been said elsewhere already here, make sure everything off the board is kosha first. the cu is enough for major works. a minor works outside of special locations is non notifiable to labc but will do for second works for nic or other body. inside special locations may cost ££££ extra for exactly same amount of work

Reply to Do i have to pay Building control?? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net