Discuss Do I join a competent person scheme? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tafftreb

Hi guys, this is my first post. I have recently completed C&G 2393, and was hoping to build experience before I considered joining any Competent person scheme.
I have however been told that City and Guilds will be changing the course, and if I don't join up to a scheme by April then I would have to do another course, or I will not be deemed competent enough to join the scheme.
My initial plan was to concentrate on minor work, until confident.
I am very confused on what to do and am in no position at present to even consider applying.
Can someone please clarify on what part of the course is changing and what the implications of this is, and is it even worth paying hundreds of pounds each year when I have very little experience? (Past course this week)
Many thanks

As far as I know, city & guilds dont run a compotent persons scheme. They may run a compotent person qualification??? The three mane scheme providers are Elecsa, Napit & NICEIC. I would get some experiance before you join one of these though.

Not quite sure what your talking about with the city & guilds thing though, as I said earlier I think that may be a qualification, unless city & guilds have indeed joined the scam providers!!lol

Jay

Ideally, you will want an NVQ, which is C&G2356 on site practical assessment, including a portfolio, with C&G2357 or the older 2330 college theory. This should take a minimum of 2 years.
Once achieved you would then want to look at 2392 and after a couple of years experience 2394 and 2395

The 2393 is a short course qualification relating to the appreciation of electrical work done under building control in domestic type properties.

Hi guys, this is my first post. I have recently completed C&G 2393, and was hoping to build experience before I considered joining any Competent person scheme.
I have however been told that City and Guilds will be changing the course, and if I don't join up to a scheme by April then I would have to do another course, or I will not be deemed competent enough to join the scheme.
My initial plan was to concentrate on minor work, until confident.
I am very confused on what to do and am in no position at present to even consider applying.
Can someone please clarify on what part of the course is changing and what the implications of this is, and is it even worth paying hundreds of pounds each year when I have very little experience? (Past course this week)
Many thanks
If you have passed the 2393 then I would not consider taking it again even if it does change since this will just be an update to the building regulations which will only require some reading and not a course.
In order to join a competent persons scheme then you would need at least the C&G 2382 (17th edition wiring regulations requirements for electrical installation) before they will consider you.

As said above there are better qualifications that will be of use in electrical installation but take time to complete.

Get some more practical experience and ignore the 2393 course, that is done and dusted.

i think your on about nvq3 and getting mixed up.
nvq3 is to get jib card,competant person is part p joining elecsa napit etc.

I maybe, but next April everything changes and as far as I'm aware to be registered with a competent persons scheme you will need to head down the NVQ 3 route as part of your ongoing training.

That doesn't mean that older qualifications or past experience will become void. Its for new entrants.

There maybe CPD as a new entrant.
and I agree That first step would be 2382 wiring regs short course, but we know with Part P scheme providers there is always an on-site assessment which is similar in its aim as an NVQ without the portfolio.

I don't think that there is a short route in reality to becoming a competent electrician

HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!.....you dont need this cert that cert and`t other cert to get mugged.......
17th edition will do......
but as has been advised above..... get some proper college quals first ....then go part pee......if you like...lol..

Last edited:
HOW MANY MORE TIMES!!.....you dont need this cert that cert and`t other cert to get mugged.......
17th edition will do......
bus as has been advised above..... get some proper college quals first ....then go part pee......if you like...lol..

With all things electrical, patience is a required necessity. hehe

17th ed. is a start but no short course will make up for the necessary time on site..... :)

I maybe, but next April everything changes and as far as I'm aware to be registered with a competent persons scheme you will need to head down the NVQ 3 route as part of your ongoing training.

That doesn't mean that older qualifications or past experience will become void. Its for new entrants.

There maybe CPD as a new entrant.
and I agree That first step would be 2382 wiring regs short course, but we know with Part P scheme providers there is always an on-site assessment which is similar in its aim as an NVQ without the portfolio.

I don't think that there is a short route in reality to becoming a competent electrician

Are they trying to rush people to join because after April part -p won't mean much?????

re comp person in scotland-i have c&g 2381 17th ed,svq level 111,sjib 17th ed insp test[bs7671]2012,hse ---
20 yrs exp and practical part of c&g insp testing 2391
do i still have to do a building control course to be able to sighn off a job in scotland[ie; extension, or change a cu]

TBH, I'm not sure what happens north of the boarder, although the work I've seen in the highlands and Islands is generally of a high order. So I should guess the standards are maintained via various authorizing bodies and a knowledge of the bulding regs via the 2393 wouldn't go amiss.

My wife could pass the Multiple choice 17th edition course, it is not a test to prove ability as an electrician, thats where an apprentiship and city and guilds come in.

Its strange that your wife can pass an electrical qualification. maybe she reads all your books while you're asleep. :)

I think all the 2382-12 will do is show a certain ability to identify good practice within the regs. Its a theory exam not a practical assessment so it can't be counted on its own to provide practical competence. I think that has already been established.....

The list of qualifications you need or should need is level 3 2330 or equivalent, level 3 Nvq , 17th edition, and ecs h&s exam

it can't be counted on its own to provide practical competence. I think that has already been established.....

Thank God we agree on something, the amount of posters who think they are elctricians by taking this and nothing else is beyond belief, established where? this post maybe, but not on the forum, do you read the DIYers on here every day haha

Reply to Do I join a competent person scheme? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net