Discuss Do I need a fire alarm system? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash2020

I'm doing 2 flats (complete new installations) which have a common entrance staircase. Not sure if I need a full BGU type fire alarm system or whether mains powered smoke & heat alarms are sufficient.
If I do need a fire alarm, does my Part P registration as a competent person allow me to install it?
Also, the meters and switched fuses are in the stairwell so do I somehow have to have a separate (fireproof) supply?

Have the flats got separate kitchens and bedrooms etc.? If so, interlinked mains smoke and heat detectors with battery back-up to BS5839 Pt.6 in each flat. If used for student accommodation, discuss requirements with local council or university as separate full alarm system may be required in the communal areas.

If you're full-scope part `P` - no problem on installation but you will need the relevant paperwork.

Full alarm systems are wired in fire-tuff type cables throughout (unless system is addressable) - interlinked smoke and heat alarms are wired in standard PVC cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too concerned about inside the flats. I'll do the usual interlinked stuff. It's more the communal area that I'm concerned about. Can't seem to find chapter and verse on it. I'm assuming I'll also need emergency lighting and it may even need to be fed from a separate consumer unit.

part 6 should be fine as log as they have controls to hush ect, however a proper part 1 is far superior as they should have a secret switch fcu feed in fp, whilst part 6 is normally pull of the ceiling by the tenants

May sound like a stupid question but.....

In a large building that currently has 4 separate businesses trading from, Is a Fire Alarm system they only method of fire detection that can be Used?

I'm currently on with converting a grade 2 listed building in to 5 apartments with a communal entrance hall like yours, building control said they dont need a fire alarm system, but want the heat detector from each apartment and the ones in the communal areas all linking together, and smokes as normal in each apartment.

Becareful here, some local authorties get it wrong sometimes and can cost you money....First get Local authority to comfirm in writing and with a drawing their proposal to let as HMO or rented accommadation. Most Houses are ok with interlinked mains smokes, however once we have seperate dwellings with communial entrance thing can change. Communial dwellings should be grade A fire alarm system in communal staircase/areas (fire panel with detection and call points) this is not linked into the flats. The Flats themselves however they should be on their own mains powered Grade D system (mains smokes). The rule ofthumb here is to get the local authorty to Grade the building and class it ie Grade A L3 or Grade D LD3...hope this helps as these guys can be a nightmare

Reply to Do I need a fire alarm system? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net