Discuss Do I need a refresher course and which one? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gman67

Hi,

I am french and have lived 4 years in uk. Although I am a qualified electrician and practised 8 years in France, I haven't worked as such in uk yet but seriously think going back to this line of work;

Do I need a refresher course to obtain a job or it is simply advised to?

I have obviously heard about the city and guilds 17th edition, do I need this?

What about the EAL 17th edition?

I have to admit that I am a bit lost there :confused:

Could anyone (who knows very well the topic) please advise me on what type of exam I need to work as automatic door engineer or industrial maintenance electrician?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am french and have lived 4 years in uk. Although I am a qualified electrician and practised 8 years in France, I haven't worked as such in uk yet but seriously think going back to this line of work;

Do I need a refresher course to obtain a job or it is simply advised to?

I have obviously heard about the city and guilds 17th edition, do I need this?

What about the EAL 17th edition?

I have to admit that I am a bit lost there :confused:

Could anyone (who knows very well the topic) please advise me on what type of exam I need to work as automatic door engineer or industrial maintenance electrician?

thanks

Hi,

it depends what you want to do. If you go industrial only G&G2382 (17th) is a definite yes 'cos the health and safety thing is big here in the UK.
If you go domestic the 17th is a minimum, C&G2391 is desirable if you don't have much experience in inspecting and testing.
If you have served an apprenticeship in France contact UKNARIC they compare all your qualifications to UK standard (bit pricy though:( )

Hope this will help you a bit

Hi Steph,

Thank you for answering my thread; Ideally,I would like to work as automatic door engineer and this line of work could work in domestic and industries too.

As I am looking for a job and still don't know what opportunity will arise, I am wondering if that wouldn't be better to have both domestic and industrial too.

What course do you advise to take? :confused:

Thanks a lot

i do automatic doors you will need ECS for a starters as most sites i go on they wont let you on site without it also maybe passport to safety course aswell but i only goty that to get on corus sites

17th aswell maybe required best bet is give jib a ring 2391 wont be nessasary with doors

who you planning on working for if you dont mind me asking as ive worked on a sub contract with most of the main industrial door firms around the country

i will warn you though the door business is still pretty slow at the moment well for me anyway

Reply to Do I need a refresher course and which one? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net