Discuss Do I need a rewire and new fuse box? Or is this OK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

MA8888

DIY
Reaction score
Hello - I’m a new member here seeking some advice.

I’m purchasing a project property - sadly the previous resident passed away. I’m trying to work out whether I will need to have any major electrical work done or not. The property is fairly run down, but the electrics look like they might be OK. I’d prefer to get anything major done before we renovate.

I had budgeted for a full rewire but an electrician I have used in the past said he didn’t think this would be needed (after a quick visit). He didn’t say anything about the fuse box.

I’ve uploaded a few photos - would be great if you could let me know whether anything looks like it needs urgent attention.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FC42D860-E98E-4CEA-AFAB-0F10AB584F9B.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 88
  • CE0CCCF7-09E3-4734-8374-7E2F8F4EC7ED.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 84
  • 0AA33D58-05BA-435B-8234-753787991BAB.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 3E2FA985-8720-46F5-91D8-026F06890361.jpeg
    197.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 8FD6F194-6D37-470F-A6AC-FE13ADC14D02.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 8DD129D5-C3EF-4833-B018-0F8A0CB3B464.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 875C1356-B337-413C-9E71-F340501D0045.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 76142D47-51C7-4109-B5CF-E3385E435C36.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 3F0558E5-D1E7-4554-9C40-5B002C006BA8.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 728D5A9E-2FD6-4C9D-9420-C58F611D819A.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 87
My advice would be if you are replastering and redecorating the house then I would opt to rewire it now. Saves you a bunch of hassle and mess trying to rewire later.
It may be the case that some of the existing cabling can be reused and repositioned etc. I would put a nice new consumer unit in as well.
from an electrician point of view rewiring an empty house pre decoration is the optimal time to do the work,

Hello - I’m a new member here seeking some advice.

I’m purchasing a project property - sadly the previous resident passed away. I’m trying to work out whether I will need to have any major electrical work done or not. The property is fairly run down, but the electrics look like they might be OK. I’d prefer to get anything major done before we renovate.

I had budgeted for a full rewire but an electrician I have used in the past said he didn’t think this would be needed (after a quick visit). He didn’t say anything about the fuse box.

I’ve uploaded a few photos - would be great if you could let me know whether anything looks like it needs urgent attention.

Thanks in advance!
Hard to tell just from pics

Thanks both. Unfortunately only have photos as don’t have access to the property yet. In an ideal world, I’d spend the money on a full rewire now. And agree that makes sense to rewire before we do any renovation - it is what I had planned.

Unfortunately the buildings survey has highlighted a few moderate-but-not-major issues which I need to factor into our budget - and so I am trying to prioritise and assess all the “must do” items to check our budget is sufficient. A rough quote for a full rewire came in at £5k + VAT - which is a little higher than I had hoped (2-bed terrace).

From @Dustydazzler’s response, and from the electrician who visited in person, feels like it might be more of a “should do” rather than “must do”. i.e. there is wiring, and an existing fuse box... pre-renovation is ideal time to do it as it will save £ in the longer term, but if push comes to shove unless safety check throws anything up it is probably fine for the time being?

A couple of factors to take into account are :
1. Are you renovating to sell?
2. Are you renovating to rent?
3. Are you renovating to live in it?

Should not make a difference in reality, but do have different requirements, especially on quality/costs.

My advice would be to rewire completely. It adds value to the property if the electrical installation is done well and to the latest standards with complete test and inspection certificates. And of course one knows it is safe by incorporating the latest fault detection devices.

Tested 2002, so that’s quite a time.
The wiring could be older than that if 2002 was just a board change.

An EICR would bring up any faults if there was some, but could still be “satisfactory” and not dangerous as it is.
Although rewiring now has the following benifits.

Additional protection by RCD. Although there may be rcbo’s been added into the old board, can’t tell from here.

Addition of a surge protection device. Not mandatory, but something to ask about.

increase number of socket outlets and lighting points. (Esp if remodelling kitchen)

Remove any DIY electrical work that may have been badly.

Empty property, work can be done quicker, therefore cheaper, than lived in.

Addition of fire detection system.

Just a short list. Many more reasons.

I would shop around for different quotes. Sounds a tad high, a two bed empty house rewire should be more in the order of 4k imo. Make sure the electrician is reputable and a member of a CPS and is insured. Ask for a copy of their insurance and scheme membership. Look for a contract before engaging. Pay when all work is done and certificate issued. I always get at least a 25% deposit up front though. Looking at your photos, in your position I would definitely rewire if it were my place. The installation is very old and I would want a brand new install. Of course it would be so cheap for me to do being in the trade so I can understand your budgetary priorities but then, what price safety?

Agree with Vortigern... and it'll be cheaper to do it now rather than when occupied. If you want to keep the costs down... see if you can find a sparky who'll be happy for you to cut/fill any chases etc. Lifting floorboards for access too can save lots of time. I had one recently where most of the 1st floor was nailed down hardboard over 15mm chipboard over oak floor boarding... having that sorted means lots of savings !

There are several questions you need to consider before deciding what is needed:
  • Is the installation capable of a "satisfactory" EICR?
  • Is the installation sufficient for your immediate needs?
  • Will it likely be sufficient in 5 years time?
  • How tolerant are you to future problems or corrective work?
From the photos you posted it appears to have two board (CU = consumer unit = fuse box) neither of which would appear to be current or indeed capable of finding new replacement parts for, though I suspect there is another board elsewhere you don't have a photo of.

Now is very much the time to sort things out, as it is before you decorate and it allows you to consider each room's use and what you might need in the way of lighting and electrical power. Doing it later will cost you significantly in decoration costs if nothing else!

If the property is all in PVC wire without signs of damage/degradation then you may not need a rewire as such, but tidying up the CU and making sure all have RCD protection (ideally via RCBO, one RCD per circuit basically) would be worth considering. But if last wired in the 80s or earlier you may well find it short of sockets where you need them, etc.

But depending on the cable condition, and very much on what you actually want in each room, it may well be far, far, better to bite the bullet and get it all rewired to your own plans.

There's nothing about the photos that says "rewire". (As distinct from a new CU)

But - not needing a rewire is not the same as not needing (wanting) a lot of disruptive work.

More sockets/sockets in new places.
Lighting/sockets fixed to the outside of the house.
Supply to garden/outbuildings.
Network cabling.
Phone cabling.
More lighting points.
Neutral taken to light switches.
Burglar alarm.
Interlinked smoke/fire detectors.
TV/radio aerial/satellite outlets.
More separation of circuits.
EV charging point.

Plus anything associated with revamped kitchen/utility/bath.

As others have said, now is the time do all the things which need flooring taking up/ceilings and walls cut into....

If it is sufficienty livable, could you live in it as it is, maybe with some low-cost decoration, for a bit, while you get some clarity over what reorganisation you'd want?

Thanks to everyone for the time they have taken to respond and the advice given.

My takeaway from this all is to try and find a way of doing it now if at all possible. Will
just need to manage the budget carefully and get a few quotes.

Plan is to live in then property for a few years, do it up and hopefully sell it on for more at some point in a ~5+ years time.

if you are planning on flipping the house for profit in 5 years then I would still do the re-wire (it will add some value as well as the obvious extra safety) but keep the rewire simple.
Pendants in the bedrooms , Down lighters in the bathroom & kitchen area.
Don't go made of extras.
A simple re-wire should be in the £4-5K area , maybe less if you really keep in to the basics.

None of us know for sure that a rewire is needed for safety. It may be that if he is having extensive modifications done that it's easier to have the lot replaced. But maybe he isn't having that. It may be that when his sparky sets to work he uncovers horrors. Or it may not.

A new CU, a clean bill of health for the existing wiring, and new accessories, will probably give a better ROI than a not-really-needed rewire.

I tend to agree with the above , Im a bit of a tight git so would attempt to re-use as much of the old cabling as possible presuming its not damaged or full of hidden joint boxes.
But once all the floors are up for the extra few quid I would probably opt to rip out and start a fresh.
But there is nothing stopping you reusing old twin and earth as part of a partial rewire.
In fact I often suggest to clients if I can reuse some of the existing to save them a few pennies then I do

I tend to agree with the above , Im a bit of a tight git so would attempt to re-use as much of the old cabling as possible presuming its not damaged or full of hidden joint boxes.
But once all the floors are up for the extra few quid I would probably opt to rip out and start a fresh.
But there is nothing stopping you reusing old twin and earth as part of a partial rewire.
In fact I often suggest to clients if I can reuse some of the existing to save them a few pennies then I do
You'd have to call it a re(use old)wire!

Reply to Do I need a rewire and new fuse box? Or is this OK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net