Discuss Do I need a scheme? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jacko

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I pretty sure this question has been asked a lot but I can’t find a definite answer so ....

Q1. If I was to start up as a self employed electrician who mainly does property maintenance for a letting agency would I need to be registered with one of the schemes? Most of the work is very small eg changing a faulty pendant, light switch etc 99% of the work is changing items like for like

Q2. I know that certain work is notifiable so I wouldn’t be able to complete that unless I was part of a scheme, contacted BC or was part P? Is that correct?

Q3. If an electrician changed a fuse board for example and didn’t notify BC or register the work through a scheme? What is the outcome because it’s seems to be ‘ok’ years later if a EICR is carried out? If that is the case, what is the point in notifying anyone that the work has been done?

I am a qualified electrician with NVQ 3, 2394, 2395 and 17th edition (will be doing 18th)

The small jobs are a side line from my full time employment so I’m trying to see if it’s worth paying one of the schemes or if it’s possible doing the work without registering with them and just getting myself insurance.

Thanks in advance

if you start off with non-notifiable jobs, hang fire on joining a scheme. if you later find you are getting into notifiable works, then reconsider.

@Jacko I see you're from Wales? If your work is based in Wales, they kept to the 2010 Part P Approved Document, which includes notifiable work, such as in kitchens, garden lighting, supplies to garden sheds etc, which from a personal opinion, England should of done too.

Bear that in mind.

@Jacko I see you're from Wales? If your work is based in Wales, they kept to the 2010 Part P Approved Document, which includes notifiable work, such as in kitchens, garden lighting, supplies to garden sheds etc, which from a personal opinion, England should of done too.

Bear that in mind.
have to disagree there, middy. part pee should be scrapped in it's present form. by making bona fide sparks pay ransom to the scams. it makes us unable to compete with the fly-by-nite bodgers, thus encouraging customers to go with the cheapest price and ending up with unsafe installs.

have to disagree there, middy. part pee should be scrapped in it's present form. by making bona fide sparks pay ransom to the scams. it makes us unable to compete with the fly-by-nite bodgers, thus encouraging customers to go with the cheapest price and ending up with unsafe installs.

This 100%

Part pee should be scrapped in its entirety

But it won’t because too many gold plated pensions now rely on it

This 100%

Part pee should be scrapped in its entirety

But it won’t because too many gold plated pensions now rely on it
it's stupid.i am not a scam member, but i am registered with local BC's. i can wire a new build entirely, or an extension to a property - no problem. all labc want is a copy of EIC. but if i want to fit a bathroom fan or a shower, , it's £300 before i start, or get a scam member to 3rd party certify. madness.

If membership costed you zero pounds, would you be in disagreement.

Reply to Do I need a scheme? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock