Discuss do I need an earth stake - metre is 25m from fuesboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cairns

Hi there, on a new build Im currently doing, they have decided to put the mains supply (metre etc near the front entrance, I have run a 25mm 3core armoured and have put an isolator in the mains cupboard, its about a 25m run from the mains cupboard to the mains cupboard, do I need any additional earthing measures?

thanks

Hi there, on a new build Im currently doing, they have decided to put the mains supply (metre etc near the front entrance, I have run a 25mm 3core armoured and have put an isolator in the mains cupboard, its about a 25m run from the mains cupboard to the mains cupboard, do I need any additional earthing measures?

thanks
Really?

Install a 30ma RCD main isolator in the meter cupboard to feed your SWA,with a 1.2m 3/8" rod driven in no more than half way....make sure you get an Ra of at least 199 ohms. Dont go near that nasty old PME if the meter is nowhere near the DB....lethal. Make sure the DB has a 30ma main switch as well.....Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

:wink: (wink edited in!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you will answer Pete's question? Also perhaps give some ideas yourself as to why you think you may need an earthstake?

Could someone explain to a trainee why it would be lethal to use the DNO supplied earth in such a situation?

If you installed a 30ma RCD at the service head and then another in the DB surely you haven't accounted for discrimination.

Could someone explain to a trainee why it would be lethal to use the DNO supplied earth in such a situation?

If you installed a 30ma RCD at the service head and then another in the DB surely you haven't accounted for discrimination.

He's joking Flex.

To the OP...

Cairns... I try and stay polite, but you'd get alot more from this forum if you didn't just ask a question without offering any proper information, which is the same for your previous posts.

You have been on this site since 2009, offered no thanks to anyone and received none.

Again, if you want to use this forum to gain information when you need it, then try giving some help as well and also providing a better starting thread!

I'm not usually this personal, so feel I have to apologise if I've offended you, but.....ggrrrr.

:6:What a doughnut!

I usually spot these a mile away, just this time it's on a subject I'm a little unfamiliar with.

At least now cairns doesn't have to ask the same question!

thanks
...What method of overload protection do you have for swa ?
...What size supply is it, when you say newbuild you give no indication of domestic industrial or commercial?
...What is the supply arrangement (TNCS) at a guess, although not always the case even on new builds.
...What do the regs say about earthing arrangements and bonding?

You haven't even tried to show an understanding of the regs and relate this into your question, you have just asked a big question... well either show some understanding of the regulations and we will guide you if you have made an error or forget my help and possible others.... Your profile is showing a trend of taking from the site but giving nothing back really and at 87 post counts I would have expected some of it would be site input and not all take... also as mentioned the Thanks button shows your appreciation and your Thanks given tally shows your appreciation over the 4 yrs of membership --- yours is currently zero.

Last edited:
DadsArmyFrazierdoomed_zps6d0ba782.png

thanks

So is the "metre" 25 "meters" from the cupboard or is the "meter" 25 "metres" from the cupboard?? I'm confused dot com.

Told you to stick to feet and inches. No confusion then!

Told you to stick to feet and inches. No confusion then!

Exactly!!

You should have seen the confusion in the engineering industry during the change over from Imperial to Cillimetres. Drawings arriving on the shop floor printed on Metric sized paper with Metric dimensions which had been converted directly from the original Imperial dimensions and given to a bloke whose machine and measuring instruments were Imperial. The poor sod (me) had to spend half an hour or so with calculator & pencil changing all the dimensions from Metric back to Imperial before the job could be started. ... Madness!!!

The Grantham grocer's daughter fixed it though when she arrived on the scene with her Final Solution ..... :censored:

Reply to do I need an earth stake - metre is 25m from fuesboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net