Discuss Do I need an electrician for cooker connector unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MTBOO

-
Reaction score
Do I need an electrician for cooker connector unit DF64DC03-F67D-49DC-AF7F-20CC19B31FF2 - EletriciansForums.net Do I need an electrician for cooker connector unit BECDC420-988C-462C-B094-6C4F19FFFA1B - EletriciansForums.net Hello

We are replacing our electric oven single oven. Circuit has 32amp MCB and seems older cooked was directly connected to CCU straight to back of cooker using thick cable. New cooker arriving tomorrow and think it might have a 13amp plug. Think I need to fit a connector unit to walk behind cooker and then wire CCU and cooker flex into it (cutting off plug in cooker ??)

Question for you in the trade , is this ok for me to do or does it require someone who is certified in terms of building regs/part P etc.

Couple of pics attached

Thanks

Put it this way my brother phoned me and he has blown up his new cooker connecting up the cable. Get an electrician. It is hard to work the cable properly and terminate it properly. Needs someone used to doing it.

you could do it you self ,when you get the new oven it will say to be fitted by a q/spark. make mess if it youself your warrantee for that will go out the window .

Most people with a little caution and checking of whats required should be able to fix a socket box to that wall and connect the existing tail into that socket then plug your new cooker into the outlet
I would however,recommend a spark to fit the cooker

What you probably won't have is a test instrument, to not only check your work is functioning correctly,but also the circuit you are working on also meets safety requirements
Safety is paramount and testing will ensure safety

View attachment 39854 View attachment 39853 Hello

We are replacing our electric oven single oven. Circuit has 32amp MCB and seems older cooked was directly connected to CCU straight to back of cooker using thick cable. New cooker arriving tomorrow and think it might have a 13amp plug. Think I need to fit a connector unit to walk behind cooker and then wire CCU and cooker flex into it (cutting off plug in cooker ??)

Question for you in the trade , is this ok for me to do or does it require someone who is certified in terms of building regs/part P etc.

Couple of pics attached

Thanks
You need the services of a qualified experienced Electrician to install the cooker properly and safely.

As all of the above , especially as some of the cookers and ovens supplied have poor terminals to say the least .
One manufacturer is stating not to put a plug on their ovens that previously were plug in . Sign of the times .
No disrespect intended , but some are tricky if you do not recognise the set up. ( some need links)

connected a bloody awful oven yesterday. L&N terminals 4mm screws. screws too short to fit anything > 2.5mm. distance between L&N terminals 4mm. made in Turkey.

My new range cooker was connected up with 10mm tw&e. Might take the cover off & see how it was done; after Xmas perhaps.:eek:

yes you do need a qualified spark as the guys said.
the cores for the other cooker may not be the correct size for the new one. and theres all the testing to make sure everything is correct.
a spark will have all the equipment and the proper knowledge for the job.
if the cooker has a plug it may have a fuse in it and removing the plug will take an over-current device out of the circuit.
this is why its much safer to get a qualified spark in to hook it up.

Reply to Do I need an electrician for cooker connector unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock