Discuss Do I need to be a qualified electrician to make DIY extension lead? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sam0204

Hi,
I am thinking to make some 20m long extension lead for my house and office. But, the question is, do i have to be a certified or qualified electrician for it. If yes, what sort of qualification i need or is there anywhere in 17th edition that it says so. (Any links please).
Thanks in advance.

Hi,
I am thinking to make some 20m long extension lead for my house and office. But, the question is, do i have to be a certified or qualified electrician for it. If yes, what sort of qualification i need or is there anywhere in 17th edition that it says so. (Any links please).
Thanks in advance.

it depends. . . is your house flammable and how much do you like everything in it?

jokes aside, you can pick up a decent extension lead online and at least you'll know it's been tested before you've used it.

Hi all,
thanks for the quick reply. But, i just wanted to know- do i have to be a certified or qualified electrician for it. If yes, what sort of qualification i need or is there anywhere in 17th edition that it says so. (Any links please).
Thanks in advance.

think OP wants 20m lead, like the domestic 4 way, like this: , these don't come that long.
PL13973-40.jpg
t

17th edition relates to fixed wiring. anyrthing that plugs in is outside of that standard.

You need to be competent to do it safely. If you are unsure then don't do it - buy a pre-made one, ie. an extension reel with 2 or more sockets built into it.

You do not need to be qualified. There is no qualification that qualifies you for fitting plugs to flex. However you DO need to be competent.

i know how to make it but i heard that it needs to be tested by certified or licensed electrician...
i am just wondering whether its true or not.. if yest then just want to know where does it say in which regulation..
thanks.

ok so competent means? i got 17th edition and i am a pat tester.. does it make me competent for the DIY extension lead as well...
thanks.

ok so competent means? i got 17th edition and i am a pat tester.. does it make me competent for the DIY extension lead as well...
thanks.

Again, qualifications do not make you competent. Are you competent enough to do the job? If you are not then buy a pre-made one.
Regs do not come into this, but as Tel said above the ISTIEE (commonly known as PAT testing) are more relevant. If it is a job for your own home only AND YOU ARE COMPETENT then shouldn't be a problem. Any doubt in this though then buy a pre-made one.

If you are a PAT tester then I would have thought you should be aware of this.

Remember the PAT testing rule that the maximum length of an extension lead before it needs it’s own RCD is dependent on the cable size used Eg. 1mm cable cores can only be 10 meters long, 1.5mm can be a max of 15 meters and 2.5mm can be a max of 25 meters (core size times 10) and many longer leads purchased will fail the PAT test the moment they are purchased.

Reply to Do I need to be a qualified electrician to make DIY extension lead? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net