Discuss Do I need to change to an 18th edition board when rewiring a house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

We are having a complete rewire of our house and also new wiring to the two-story extension that is being built.
The Sparky has said we need to change our board to a metal cased 18th edition board. Our board is only 7 years old and has plenty of headroom for adding more devices. See attached picture.

Any advice appreciated as this is a cost that we could do with saving.

Thank you

CU.jpg

If I was having a full rewire I would go for a new board.
Is it compulsory? IMO, if the existing board is still suitable for use then I would say No.
How much is the electrician quoting for the new board?

If I was having a full rewire I would go for a new board.
Is it compulsory? IMO, if the existing board is still suitable for use then I would say No.
How much is the electrician quoting for the new board?
Hi Spoon; thank you for the reply. If I could I really would upgrade, but the work is already very expensive. The quote for the board and labour is £600

Thanks

absolutely no reason (regs. wise) to replace that CU. and for £600. i'd expect an all RCBO unit.

In my opinion a rewire is replacing all wires, switches sockets and consumer unit. !
if adding a few new circuits for an extension then that does not require a new consumer unit if there is room on the old compliant consumer unit
Thanks for the reply. In that case, I would not call it a complete rewire as we are reusing some of the original switches and sockets.
What I really need to know is is it an actual requirement according to the regs rather than people's preference or opinion? I really would love to upgrade the board if I could afford it but I need to tighten the budget on this project where possible.

Thank you

all RCBO board would be advantageous in a smuch as a fault on a circuit would not affect other circuits. it's up to you whether you want to spend on it. there's no reason, regs wise, that means you need to upgrade the CU. if your sparks insists, get another quote or 2.

Thanks for the reply. In that case, I would not call it a complete rewire as we are reusing some of the original switches and sockets.
What I really need to know is is it an actual requirement according to the regs rather than people's preference or opinion? I really would love to upgrade the board if I could afford it but I need to tighten the budget on this project where possible.

Thank you
A upgrade or alteration to an existing installation would not require a consumer unit replacement unless the existing consumer did not have RCD protection, If it had RCD protection could it carry rated load and enough spare ways for the works to be carried out.
But as a sparks i would always advise the client on the best compliance for their budget.
If all compliant at time of testing and certification you can always improve things later on

There is no requirement to change the board. The certification will detail what work has been carried out which would not include a replacement board. In effect it would only be a requirement to upgrade the board to 18th compliant IF it was being replaced. I would however ask your electrician to square up the devices and fit solid dinrail mounted blanks rather than those clip in ones.

then get a BG CU with just a main switch. re-use RCDs and MCBs. cost about £30.

Full complete re-wire + all new circuits for extension, I personally would just suck it up and get a fully loaded metal rcbo board installed.
If you were just having the extension without re-wiring the old part then I would happily add a few circuits to the old board.
Just my opinion of course...

As I see it a full rewire is a job that comprises renewing all the wiring and equipment in an installation past the meter. I would not quote for any rewire that did not include a new consumer unit nor would I reuse old accessories. But that's just me.

That said, a job could extend to whatever is described on the certificate, and there is nothing wrong with connecting new circuits into that existing consumer unit in terms of compliance with the regs. Probably.

A metal clad RCBO unit would be a better choice all considered in my opinion. The existing brand you have is one of the cheapest on the market and I personally do not fit that brand due to multiple negative personal experiences with substandard components.

If I was doing the rewire I'd be far from willing to reuse that consumer unit, or any part of it. I've no issues with the brand, but it's used parts, I wouldn't cover it in my warranty.

It's almost like getting a brand new car, and trying to save money on it by saying you have the battery and tyres from your existing car which is a scrapper.

Reply to Do I need to change to an 18th edition board when rewiring a house? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net