Discuss Do I Need To Do Am2 To Obtain Electricians Gold Card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi could someone please help me do I need to do the AM2 to obtain the electricians gold card I have levels 2&3 electrical installation, NVQ 3 and 17th edition I didn't think I needed it but someone I work with said I do

Unless it has changed from my days in the 80's then your AM2 was the final part to show you can translate all you have learnt into practical installation methods and practices, don't take make word for it here, I'm going back decades but was still under the impression your AM2 is your final piece in the jigsaw and shows that your able to work to a standard and safetly and not like some who passed because they are just good at parrot fashion revising without understanding what they are actually writing.
Like I said, I would wait for other opinions from more up to date members as I'm a tad out of touch on said matter.

If you have the NVQ3 then one unit of this (the final unit) is the Electrotechnical occupational competence and this unit is referred to as the achievement measurement 2 (AM2)
Therefore if you have the NVQ3 you will have had to have passed the AM2 to get the NVQ3 certificate.

If you have the NVQ3 then one unit of this (the final unit) is the Electrotechnical occupational competence and this unit is referred to as the achievement measurement 2 (AM2)
Therefore if you have the NVQ3 you will have had to have passed the AM2 to get the NVQ3 certificate.
Makes sense to me.

Do need NVQ3 .. for a GOLD CARD
i did read one that says you need 2330 Level 2 and 3 .. PLUS NVQ3
If i had the NVQ3 2356/7 then i wouldnt F need 2330

you don't need the AM2 if you done the older NVQ3. If you have done the mature candidate assessment or the 2357 then you need to complete the AM2 to complete the course so you would already have it.

Do need NVQ3 .. for a GOLD CARD
i did read one that says you need 2330 Level 2 and 3 .. PLUS NVQ3
If i had the NVQ3 2356/7 then i wouldnt F need 2330

Hi thanks for the reply I have my level 2&3, NVQ 3 2356 and my 17th edition I called ECS to get my gold card but was told I need to do the AM2. I spoke with my tutor and he said the qualifications I have should get me the gold card so bit confused as to why I need to do the AM2 if I got these other qualifications

I never done the AM2 and have the same qualifications as you apart from I have the 2391 so I was graded approved electrician. With the quals you have you would be eligible for an installation electricians card. You may have to sit the ECS exam depending when your NVQ 3 was completed as you get a grace period for 3 years as a lot of H&S is covered in the NVQ.

i was always under the impression that the AM2 is a part of the NVQ3 2356
there fore you have the NVQ3 an it has the AM2

"Therefore if you have the NVQ3 you will have had to have passed the AM2 to get the NVQ3 certificate."
And if you have the NVQ3 (what has the AM2 within it) then you get a ECS GOLD
As above may have to do a H&S test, no stick parts of male bits in to a pipe etc things like that

TradeSkills4U
"The NVQ Part Two of the 2357 is often called ‘on site assessments’. Essentially it’s the part where an assessor is sent to your workplace to assess how you’re progressing; typically they visit you a number times, no matter where in Britain you live.

To finalise your full NVQ, you have to complete an AM2 assessment at a local AM2 centre or one near to you. It’s a three day deal."

The 2357 being the one that replaced the 2356

Reply to Do I Need To Do Am2 To Obtain Electricians Gold Card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net