Discuss Do I need to do my 17th Edition...? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do i need to do my 17th

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
E

Electrician45

Hi Guys and Girls,

A work colleague suggested i sign up here with the hope of getting a definite yes/no answer to the following question.

I began my electrical apprenticeship in september 2008, a couple months after the 17th edition came into force.

So since then i have worked to (on site and college) it. All exams, all qualifications and my AM2 were all the the 17th edition standard.

I have since left my employer and am currently subbing myself to a couple different local electricians but am looking to go back employed. As you would think most employers are all asking for 17th edition qualified sparks.

I spoke to an old college lecturer who said even though I did all of the above i would still have to do my 17th, 3 day course at £330.

So i booked the course, starting wednesday this week, and thought nothing else of it.

Today however i spoke to a lecturer from a different college who was on a site visit to an apprentice who was working with me today, he said i shouldn't need this and the college were just trying to get money out of me, he said the only thing i would possibly have to do is a 17th update to the recent amendment.

As you can imaging im rather confused now. I don't have a problem with doing the course if i need to, but if i really don't have to i'd rather blow that money on a new drill :icon6:

If anyone could shed any light on this situation i'd be really grateful.

Thank you,

Charlie.

Mate just sit the exam, its £45 and a piece of pi$$. College are robbing you at £330 when you're clearly gonna pass the worlds easiest exam.

Cancel it if possible and sit the exam on its own.

You say you began you're apprentership after the 17th started...so all the work you did for 2330 at college was to 17th...seems scandalous you even having to take the update let alone the full 3day course.

Having said that, like i said above...its £45, just crack on with the exam. £330, for someone who's got credible and valuable qualifications is a complete joke.

I would check what certificates you have received (if any yet), my apprentice where I am brought in a cert cause he didn't know what it was for??? So I looked at it for him as it was his 17th, the college just lumped it in with all the others he got

You should pass with no problems at all, I fell asleep half way through and I got 59/60 the one I got wrong was on special locations, I couldn't find the answer in the book as I'd knocked my coffee over and it spoilt that section in the book.

have you done 16th edition? if you have you need only folow up course.
if you haven't ithink you now need to do full course........although if all your courses included 17th then i can't see why you would have to do full course......
the long and short of it is i don't know for sure.lol
i will guess 1 day course.

No you should not have to take the 17th edition exam, you should be considered as having it by virtue of the fact that your courses have all been conducted to the 17th.
However whilst the JIB and the majority of right thinking people would take this view, NAPIT will not. It may also be that the other schemes will not either (I don't personally know).
I do though know that unless they have recently changed their policy, NAPIT want proof in the form of the 2382 certificate.

the updaste is dead since the 2011 amendment came out. it's the full 2 hour £45 exam, with or without taking the course.

not yet, unless an employer wants you to have it before he'll take you on. surprised the agencies don't specify it for a £9/hour job.

Until the men it suits realise they can make so much money by putting time-served sparks with the 17thed update on another 17th.1 update course.

Wouldn't suprise me in future that updates were counted as seperate exams that we all had to have. Maybe i shouldn't of opened my mouth lol!

Until the men it suits realise they can make so much money by putting time-served sparks with the 17thed update on another 17th.1 update course.

Wouldn't suprise me in future that updates were counted as seperate exams that we all had to have. Maybe i shouldn't of opened my mouth lol!

Same as the 2391. How longs it gonna be before us long time 2391 boys have to go back to college to update to a new testing quali?

When I did my 2330 lvl 2+3 it was when 16th edition was in force, I still had to do the 16th 10 week 1 night a week course after, so not sure if its changed since to include the 17th within the 2330 when you get your Certs.It does seem silly as you work to it all through you course and pass exams anyway, although I feel with the 10 week course I did after was boring, but gives you a better understanding of the regs rather than finding random questions in a book.

I trained to the 17th and when I joined niceic they said no I didn't need it.
Regarding the poll if you've trained to the 17 th I personally do think you need it, but if have trained to 16th or below then I would agree that it's a must

The 17th is not a qualification it does not qualify you to do anything it's just a book referencing exercise I have it you dont need it to get on site but people like you to have it so you have in theory a better understanding of BS7671. Plus i think if you wanted to join a scam you would want it, there are alot of electricians who don't have it and do site work i have worked with many but then there are alot that do have it no harm in doing it. Just think if you where an employer would you want your lads do have an up to date understanding of the 17th edition guide. The 17th edition is just a working guide it's not the law people get carried away with the regs you can do an installation that is not to regs standard as long as it's safe and functions well.

If you can find somewhere that will allow you just to sit the exam just do it, Its a open book exam and providing you know where to get the info from just go for it.. As above you will pay £45 ish for exam only

Reply to Do I need to do my 17th Edition...? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net