Discuss Do I need to earth this? (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

DIY-er here :) I have this lamp. It's old. Early 20th century I think... I need to rewire it and put in a new bulb socket if I want to use it AND keep my house safe!

Obviously currently there's no earth. But it being metal and me being in the UK I need advice on how to rewire this. Does it need earthing, does it need shielding of some kind between the socket and body? Is this a DIY project or should I pay a professional!?

Thanks in advance!

TL;DR
Should I do this myself or get a pro?

Attachments

• Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.25.29 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.25.29.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.25.31 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.25.31.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.25.38 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.25.38.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.25.44 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.25.44.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.25.55 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.25.55.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Do I need to earth this? (UK) 2020-03-09 10.26.09 - EletriciansForums.net
    2020-03-09 10.26.09.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 46
Have you checked in the base of the lamp, it may well be earthed there.

Have you checked in the base of the lamp, it may well be earthed there.
Hi James, thanks for the reply.

I've checked the base and it's not earthed as far as I can tell - the metal base of the lamp is screwed into wood base, which in turn has a half-inch slab of lead underneath it for weight. My great-grandfather's handiwork I think :D

Hi - unless the lamp is double insulated it needs to be earthed. The figure 8 flex is single insulated and so an immediate fail, sorry.

There might or might not be room for an insulated and sheathed flex inside the tubes and knuckles, in which case if the sheath extends to within a suitably all-insulated lampholder, and the cable is not at risk of mechanical damage in the knuckles, there may be no need to earth it. Alternatively, there might or might not be satisfactory earth continuity through the knuckles depending on whether they have metal or insulating friction washers.

It looks like it might originally have been a machine worklight, which were often powered from a 50V transformer for safety and long lamp life. The extra-low voltage option is possibly still a good idea, perhaps a 12V LED lamp and a suitable plug-in transformer, in which case neither earthing nor double-insulation are required. As you've probably realised the present lampholder is not original anyway, it would have been a metal-bodied type.

Last edited:

Reply to Do I need to earth this? (UK) in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock