Discuss DO i need to go part P registered? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hamlettphil

hi people first time on the forum so hello. Im an electricain, have been for nealy ten years now, got all the qualifications etc etc. work are just about to pay for me to do the 17th.

Right im just in the middle of starting my own part time business up:D, to do at weekends and after work. I work for a local goverment authority in the north west, so they dont mind us doing our own little thing on the side.

i know i have to spend a bit, got van, tools, brand new tester etc. heard a few people say that the part P scheme is a load of rubbish, just another way to get a boatful of money out of people. Is it nessecary to go part P? I wont be turning over a lot of money, Can i self certify my work on the test sheets you get in the wholesalers?

Minor works you are fine.
'Major' works, i.e adding a circuit or consumer unit change, then you need part p.
You have to notify these jobs to building control. If your 'part p' registered your able to do this via your scheme provider (niceic, elecsa, napit, etc etc) if not, you have to do this yourself at great cost. To do jobs for yourself, its a must really.
Niceic is the most recognised, but personally, i feel napit offer a better package. (napit allow you to do periodic reports at no extra cost. nic make you have pay another £250) Hope this helps

Hi still trying to get my head round Part P. Presently am on a C&G 2330 and want to become a domestic electrician. I know that i will have to do 17th wiring regs and be part P registered to sign new work (not repairs?) off. When i have the other qualifications do i apply to/join one of the electrical organisations like NICEIC and get them to check my first jobs so that they can verify i am a competent person. What sort of cost is involved? and how often is work checked? Do they provide 3rd party liability or do you have to go elsewhere to get public liability insurance? Am i on the right track or am i completely confused. Anyone got any info or links to get me sorted.

Oh and what are periodic reports laney06?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there.

you do have to get the nic or another scheme provider to check your competency regardlesss of your qualifications. the cost for your initial assesment with niceic is £425

Your work is checked every year. every 12 months you have a re- assesment at a cost of £290 + vat.
whwn you do a job that you certificate you notify it via your scheme providers website.
You then choose two of these jobs for your re-assesment.
You need public liability (2 million) BEFORE you apply for part p enrolment as its part of the requirements for enrolment.

A Peridoc report is a document required by landlords and mortgage providers when there is a change of occupancy(amongst others)
Its a document that states the condition of the electrical system, where you make suggestions for improvement or state non-compliances. You really need to get your test and inspect qualification for this. (c&g 2391)

Hope this helps.

By 'scheme providers' i mean : niceic, napit, elecsa, kitemark etc. All these and a couple more provide schemes for part p registration

Thanks laney06 for taking the time to really explain it clearly - looks like i'm staying at college for another couple of years. Sure seems as if there is a lot of expenditure before you get to earn :eek:

no problem pushrod. Your welcome.

there is a lot of expenditure, but if you intend doing this kind of work for a living, then it really is a must.
I got my part p off niceic, and made the money back within a month.
If you intend doing work for local authorities (councils or housing assosiations) then they will only accept ( unofficially of course!) niceic certificates.

Minor works you are fine.
'Major' works, i.e adding a circuit or consumer unit change, then you need part p.
You have to notify these jobs to building control. If your 'part p' registered your able to do this via your scheme provider (niceic, elecsa, napit, etc etc) if not, you have to do this yourself at great cost. To do jobs for yourself, its a must really.
Niceic is the most recognised, but personally, i feel napit offer a better package. (napit allow you to do periodic reports at no extra cost. nic make you have pay another £250) Hope this helps

(Minor works you are fine.) Not true. While most minor jobs you may not need part P for, eg adding a socket to an existing circuit in a lounge, you just need a minor and is not notifiable, however, if you add a socket to existing circuit in a kitchen, then this is still a minor but IS notifiable as it is a special location.

i know i have to spend a bit, got van, tools, brand new tester etc. heard a few people say that the part P scheme is a load of rubbish, just another way to get a boatful of money out of people. Is it nessecary to go part P? I wont be turning over a lot of money, Can i self certify my work on the test sheets you get in the wholesalers?[/QUOTE]

Hi matey, I'm new on here aswell so hello folks. I'm in exactly the same boat as you but here my take on the situation. I'm going part time self employed soon and I intend to mainly do domestic electrical repairs. I'm on 17th now, hold a 2391 testing cert, Level 3 installation cert c&g. I've got a calbibrated megger 1552 etc. I helped a friend out the other day who needed a circuit doing in his house. I'm not part p but I contacted his local building control office and asked if they would accept an installation certificate submitted by myself. They agreed to take it, and as the part p reg is related to notifiying building control, I met the requirements of the law. The problem arises if you fail to notify building control and then proceed to alter or modify the electrics in a dwelling. They asked me what credentials I had and were satisfied. It seems to me that if you are only doing a few notifiable jobs, then it may be better to get a working relationship with your local building control office.

hi people first time on the forum so hello. Im an electricain, have been for nealy ten years now, got all the qualifications etc etc. work are just about to pay for me to do the 17th.

[video=facebook;1581945906769]http://www.------------/video/video.php?v=1581945906769&comments#!/video/video.php?v=1581945906769[/video]

when applying for your first ever niceic part p registration i understand you have to take the inspctor to 2 of your jobs do these have to be jobs that have been notified to building control or jobs that i have done in the past year and hold a copy of the test sheets myself...

when applying for your first ever niceic part p registration i understand you have to take the inspctor to 2 of your jobs do these have to be jobs that have been notified to building control or jobs that i have done in the past year and hold a copy of the test sheets myself...

Hi there.

When you undertake work that is 'notifiable', to building control, you have 28 days to do so.
If you submit jobs from the last 12 months for your assessment, then you haven't notified them to building control ( as your not yet part p registered )
So you are not complying with legislation and this is a 'fail' as far as NICEIC are concerned.

The way I done it is this :

Apply for part p registration with a scheme provider (NICEIC, napit, kitemark etc)
Make sure you have your paperwork in order ( public liability cert, qualifications, regs book, on site guide, h&s at work regs, record of calibration checks on your meter, complaints folder, health and safety policy)
Pay your fee.
When you get your assessment date, do two jobs the week before. One minor, one major. ( minor - add an extra socket) ( major- consumer unit change.)
Cert them up on green Certs.
Make sure bonding etc is up to scratch on both jobs, and rcd/rcbo protect the circuit on your minor works ( ie, the jobs comply with current regs)
Put a date of test sticker on the consumer units, so the inspector is aware they are only a week old.
( do one job at your own home, one at a friends or family member)
If questioned by your inspector, you still have 21 days to notify the job, your a qualified electrician and so you knew you only had to demonstrate competency. It takes them a week to process your registration number and another week to ten days to get on the website to notify your jobs.

Hope this helps

Laney

Hi,

It is worth noting that there are going to be two significant changes in the near future:

1) The current domestic installer qualification is currently only available to be registered on until March 31st 2011. There is a new qualification in the pipeline. The following statement is from EAL
In advance of its QCF launch, the existing Level 2 Certificate in Domestic Electrical Installers VRQ (500/4385/7) has been extended for new registrations until 31 March 2011.

The structure and content of the QCF version is being finalised by SummitSkills in conjunction with industry. It is likely that it will be a Level 3 qualification, with a title such as ‘Level 3 NVQ [Award/Certificate/Diploma] in Installing, Testing and Commissioning Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings in Compliance with the Building Regulations’.

The inclusion of ‘NVQ’ in the draft title implies the qualification will include competence units alongside knowledge units.
2) I spoke with a gentleman from ELECSA this week regarding what qualifications they accept when registering with the competent persons scheme and currently this is only the 2382 or EAL equiv, 17th Edition (you will need to prove knowledge and competence in other areas also during your inspection but no formal quals are required). FROM JULY 1st you will need the 17th edition and a NVQ Level 3 qualification (he had not received the list of acceptable level 3 quals yet).

Therefore I would suggest contacting the scheme provider you are thinking of joining and find out what they expect now and in the future.

Any questions I can help with then drop me a line.

Dave

Cheers for the info guys that sounds like a good idea to use the green niceic pad week before examiner arrives. Also I have nvq 3. 17th edition. So should be ok with that side of things. Thanks again folks and keep up the good work

This was taken from the electrical safety council website about part P

Who is responsible for making sure any work complies with Part P? You are. By law, all home owners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical wiring meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence.
Local authorities can make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that doesn’t meet these Building Regulations.

at no point does it suggest an electrician is responsible for notifying building control to comply with part P?

You can do what you like as long as you comply with the electricity at work act and follow the regulations surely? After all the regulations are more a good practice guide than law since they are none statutory? You are allowed to carry out work if you can prove competency and having your current certificates proves that you are competent. If you follow the regulations there will be no accidents that you can be blamed for and if the building control wish to go to a home owner and tell them off for not getting planning permission then thats the home owners fault. How they would find out a home owner had a job done in the first place is beyond me.

That's my take on part P. It's the home owners responsibility and the funny thing is none of them know it exists.

Another thought is where are all of these certificates kept? Surely the local authority would have to purchase extra buildings just to store these certificates of compliance with the building regs? Im guessing that they go into the garbage at some point? And then the paper trail evidence comes to an end? Does the NICEIC keep a copy forever of every installation that is carried out at every premises for an eternity?

also from the electrical safety council website

Is it important who carries out the electrical work on your home? Yes. Electrical work must only be carried out by people who have the knowledge, skill and experience needed to avoid danger to themselves and others.

again at no point does it say a part p electrician. It just implies you use a competent electrician.

If your looking for an excuse to be unregistered I must say
Part p has been a fantastic success for the following reasons

It has been shown that many thousands of us are easily duped into contributing hard earned money to a useless cause and that our gullible ness continues unabated
In fact, many extra victims are being produced in short periods to top up and increase the profitability of the sting

It was also amazingly simple and successfully encouraged by our own industry that the government must have thought the average spark to be somewhat backward in not opposing such nonsense as part p, then or now

It benefits many people,all those may I say who happen not to be the contributors to this theft of a working mans earnings

There,that just goes to show,things dont always seem to be what was intended,aka part nonsense
DO i need to go part P registered? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to DO i need to go part P registered? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock