Discuss Do i need to install a DC isolator if theres already one provided on the hybrid inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have nearly finished installing my first solar system for my brother in law. havent installed a DC isolator on the string lines (none in stock locally and didnt order ahead). The sofar inverter he bought has a rotary isolator fitted already.

Can I label that isolator and be compliant with BS7671. I am registered but do not have mcs.

Many thanks.

It's one of those grey areas. Good practice to have a separate isolator imo.

Reason being without one you're left with an inverter that has a live source going directly into it. I've seen AC backfeed into the DC isolator when the inverter has been faulty. I've also seen the + and - strings when plugged directly into the inverter, when there's been an inverter isolator fault, create a mini circuit which has arced and literally melted the MC4's as they were pulled for some testing.

Just better to have the 30 quid isolator separate so you know you've completely separated the juice from the system. The isolator should be local to the installation as well and not eg in a separate room somewhere.

EDIT to give my reasoning.

Last edited:
It's one of those grey areas. Good practice to have a separate isolator imo.

Reason being without one you're left with an inverter that has a live source going directly into it. I've seen AC backfeed into the DC isolator when the inverter has been faulty. I've also seen the + and - strings when plugged directly into the inverter, when there's been an inverter isolator fault, create a mini circuit which has arced and literally melted the MC4's as they were pulled for some testing.

Just better to have the 30 quid isolator separate so you know you've completely separated the juice from the system. The isolator should be local to the installation as well and not eg in a separate room somewhere.

EDIT to give my reasoning.
Many thanks. Makes sense to protect the inverter and not put other engineers in an uncomfortable position, if someone else needs to do maintenance in the future.

Reply to Do i need to install a DC isolator if theres already one provided on the hybrid inverter? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock