Discuss Do I need to install fire rated downlighters? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rauer

As far as I was aware you need to fit them to fall inline with building regs but, do I need to in a commercial setting as it is not governed by part p

Anywhere you break a fire barrier you need them, its stopping spread of fire either in domestic or commercial I guess you would need to work out the fire cells

Oh I understand that mate it's just the company is all about cheap and I know someone else will price it without fire rated d/ls to get the job!

Another showroom floor!! It's In a factory warehouse type of building , I.e a metal fabrication!

If there's any sort of fire door between the showroom and the one above (say onto a staircase, for example) then that's a good indication thet they'll need to be fire rated. I would have thought a chat with local building control might be worthwhile.

If the showroom above is for the same company and purpose as the lower floor and the total floor area of each floor is less than 2000m² and there is not a fire evacuation plan for the upper floor that allows fire exit from the upper floor without passing through the ground floor then the floor should not need to be a fire compartment floor and you should not need fire rated downlights.
However if the floor construction is of flammable material (fairly unlikely) then you may need them.

Try contacting building control or the fire officer to determine the exact nature of the floor in relation to compartmentalisation, read Approved Document B V2 of the building regs.
Consider whether it is worth the effort of finding out just to quote for the job, and instead provide two alternatives based on the designation of the floor in relation to fire safety.

Reply to Do I need to install fire rated downlighters? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net