Discuss Do I trust this Electrician in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Sandman

Hi
We are having major reconstruction work done in our 6 year old 3 bed Bungalow as part of a insurance claim which they have paid up to us.

We had an electrician come round to quote and bring up to regulations of our wiring, lighting etc. who is contracted to the builder. He came round the day of the start of the work to Isolate part of the supply in the Bungalow he remove 2 electric showers and 1 switch and 1 socket plates. I had to remove a Socket plate which he missed so they can take a wall down. £186.00 quote When he left I checked the Consumer Unit, to Isolate part of the bungalow, he just switched the mcb’s to off none of the MCB’s was removed, no notice was put on the C.U. etc. Should this have been done?

Also 4 points I brought to his attention.

Down lights in the bathroom and on suite, which are standard 12v down lights one directly above the showers they have no moisture protection or to stop moisture ingress into the loft. Should these be moisture protected down lights? He said 12v will be fine.

The extractor fan is over the toilet and is close to the window. Should this be closer or over the shower? Which is 8 feet away.

We have only 1 mains smoke alarm, 18 feet distance away from the kitchen door and is sited between our bedroom door and front door. I said the smoke and heat detectors need to be on their own circuit. I said it should be on its own rcb or mcb plus do we need additional smoke sensors etc. he said it will be ok on the lighting circuit, plus he never quoted for extra sensors.

I wanted my fridge freezer on its own circuit, speaks for its own. He said it’s not part of Regs.
He as quoted for a new consumer unit.
Cheers

When he left I checked the Consumer Unit, to Isolate part of the bungalow, he just switched the mcb’s to off none of the MCB’s was removed, no notice was put on the C.U. etc. Should this have been done?
He should have disconnected the live conductors from inside the c.u?

Down lights in the bathroom and on suite, which are standard 12v down lights one directly above the showers they have no moisture protection or to stop moisture ingress into the loft. Should these be moisture protected down lights? He said 12v will be fine.
All electrical accessorys should be suitable for any external influences so i would say they should have the appropriate I.P ratings unless they are outside the defined zones. (2.25m ceiling height)

The extractor fan is over the toilet and is close to the window. Should this be closer or over the shower? Which is 8 feet away.
In my opinion no, but this may fall under building regs rather than electrical regs.

We have only 1 mains smoke alarm, 18 feet distance away from the kitchen door and is sited between our bedroom door and front door. I said the smoke and heat detectors need to be on their own circuit. I said it should be on its own rcb or mcb plus do we need additional smoke sensors etc. he said it will be ok on the lighting circuit, plus he never quoted for extra sensors.
This is from the on site guide....

Smoke and Heat alarms

Part B of the building regs and the building standards scotland requires all new and refurbished dwelling houses to be provided with a fire detection and alarm system.

In a standard house(single storey or multi storey with no storey exceeding 200m2 floor area), the basic requirement can be met by installing interlinked smoke alarms as follows.
1 In circulation areas between sleeping places and places where fires are most likely to start e.g kitchens/living rooms.
2 In circulation spaces within 7.5m of the door to each habitable room
3 At least 1 on every storey
4 If the kitchen is not seperated from the circulation area by a door, a compatible interlinked heat detector or heat alarm must additonally be installed in the kitchen.

That is the basics of it, i wont bore you with the position details.

I would suggest 1 smoke/heat detector in the kitchen, 1 smoke/heat detector in the main living area, 1 smoke detector in the hallway and 1 smoke detector on the landing all interlinked.

I wanted my fridge freezer on its own circuit, speaks for its own. He said it’s not part of Regs.
Regardless of whether it is part of the regs if you asked for it why didnt he just quote for it and do the work? Very unusual for a man to turn down such a straight forward job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst you may not like what he has done as he is sub-contracted to the builder you should really take it up with the builder who is paying him stating the problems you have found and if not rectified properly then yu may consider not allowing him on your property to carry out any further work as you believe him to be a H & S issue.

Last edited:
If the questions are from someone who is not in or aware of the electrical trade then the responses may be given with good intent
However the type of questions being asked suggests that the person posting these questions is either in or associated with the trade or has been given points to persue
Asking a question on a dedicated fridge supply would not be the type of information joe public would have
IP rated bathroom downlights is another
The smoke alarm and fan question would suggest an ill informed spark
Care to say why the questions arose initially?

If the questions are from someone who is not in or aware of the electrical trade then the responses may be given with good intent
However the type of questions being asked suggests that the person posting these questions is either in or associated with the trade or has been given points to persue
Asking a question on a dedicated fridge supply would not be the type of information joe public would have
IP rated bathroom downlights is another
The smoke alarm and fan question would suggest an ill informed spark
Care to say why the questions arose initially?
You raise a good point des but wouldnt their be less cowboys out there if more people were asking these questions, how ever he came about the knowledge its good to challange the work you pay for and as a customer knowing the job you pay for is of a high standard should be challengable with questions no matter how knowledgable the client is, if the contractor cant give you a satisfactory answer then i would myself question their abilities.

Hi
I believe I am technically minded I was a Tech support engineer in Communications, but I am not in the trades, to me these are common sense questions. We moved into our house last year.
Take the down lights and fans in the bathrooms we had condensation dripping from the trusses in the loft last winter. While the loft light was off I could see light coming through the down lights. Me being me I looked at the down lights and the bulb could be moved around no problem, so could that be the route of the moisture to the loft? The fans in both bathrooms don’t seem man enough to clear the moisture. After a shower we have to open the window to clear. Looking at the moisture it seems to circulate slowly between the window and the fan. To me the most logical position for the fan for on-suite would be above the shower and with a more powerful extractor fan. This could take the moisture away from the on-suite more efficiently and then less ingress into the loft.
Looking at the alarm system, safety in mind I always look at the worst case. If the mcb or a rcd trip being on another circuit and the backup batteries have failed to store a charge, then we do not have a effective alarm system. So that’s why I questioned the alarm system being on a lighting circuit.
We are having a new fridge freezer now it’s going into the utility room. Same thing, me being me what would happen if we are on holiday and the ring main trip with the fridge/freezer is on it? Spoilt food. It happened in our old house so we had a sparks come in and he installed a circuit for the fridge freezer to cut down the risk, then we had no problems. For some reason the dishwasher was tripping it.
Maybe a bit of Knowledge is dangerous and maybe not. To me it’s all about cutting down the risk.
So these are the reasons for my questions

The fans in both bathrooms don’t seem man enough to clear the moisture. After a shower we have to open the window to clear. Looking at the moisture it seems to circulate slowly between the window and the fan.

Alot of people think this is the job for a fan, but a fan is just simply to circulate air. I have yet to see a fan that stops my mirror steaming up :)

Or I could invest in a heated mirror if I was that bothered

Indeed, the fan is there to help remove steam but will not keep it away completely unless it is upped to a 5 or maybe 6 inch.

You will notice that the room does clear quite quickly after you have finished the shower though.

The reason I posted the querie was that the informed questions suggested an electrician with a dispute, who was seeking confirmation of his opinions
I will first apologise for taking that view ,the reason for that being a reluctance by myself and probably many others to become that mechanism for confirmation
Having said that,here are my opinions

Looking at the alarm system, safety in mind I always look at the worst case. If the mcb or a rcd trip being on another circuit and the backup batteries have failed to store a charge, then we do not have a effective alarm system. So that’s why I questioned the alarm system being on a lighting circuit.

Another viewpoint could be that by taking the supply for an alarm system off a local lighting circuit ,then the possibility of an MCB being left switched off is far less likely than if the alarm were on its own MCB (householders are not going to neglect re energising when they are in the dark)
A dedicated MCB for the smoke alarms is in my opinion a very poor method regarding safety
The battery back up also has, remember, its own back up to alert you to lack of charge

The fridge socket is a sensible precaution
Irrespective of zones .suitable IP rated downlights for shower or bathrooms
(When enclosed the lamps do not fail so readily when the moisture is excluded)
One smoke alarm may have the range to cover the whole of your dwelling but a heat detector in the kitchen(as suggested) and perhaps a smoke in the loft space would enhance the system
Safe isolation is more than switching off an MCB and lack of trust in the individual is the minimum that could have resulted
A fan with de humidifier is usually an excellent way of clearing moisture if situated directly above the cubicle (a fan light would be my choice ) but the location is not mandatory only the extraction rate
One thing I dont understand
You are the customer therefore your opinions and choices are what should matter as long as those choices are not in contravention of any regs
As the person ordering and paying for the work Did you request a consumer unit if not why would it require renewing may be another worthwhile question

With regards the fan, if there is no route for air to enter your bathroom then the fan will struggle to dispell moisture. I am fitting a HRV system in my own home at the moment and the general guidelines for installation recommend leaving 10mm space under the door for air to be able to be sucked in. It would probably be better for the fan to be mounted above the shower but I don't think this is required by regulations.

The smoke alarm should not be protected by an rcd and should be on its own dedicated circuit. I'm not sure how many smokes you will need but I work with these rules which are proabbly overkill:
1 smoke alarm within 3m of any bedroom door, a smoke alarm within 7.5m of any living area ie living room.
1 smoke/heat detector in any room with a fire(not electric fire)
1 smoke/heat detector in kitchen

i agree with modernelectric regarding the downlights and also his policy on the fridge freezer. All housing executive or grant work in Northern Ireland require that the fridge, freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer be installed in seperate circuits but this is not regulation just the government spending more money than is necessary.

As with disconecting circuits, if he has not locked off the mcb and put up warning signs or disconnected the load from the mcb then his method of safe isolation is questionable.

hope this helps and i'm sure I put in too many smokes in my installs but thats better than too little.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The smoke alarm should not be protected by an rcd and should be on its own dedicated circuit.

Good answer to the questions asked,but I will dis agree with the above part of that answer
A smoke alarm should be on its own circuit
if the smoke alarm has a back up it does not require its own dedicated circuit

The smoke alarm should not be protected by an rcd
RCD protection of a smoke alarm would be no different to the RCD requirement for lights, water heaters, cookers etc
If the cable is buried less than 50 mm etc the requirement still applies

Hi
We are having major reconstruction work done in our 6 year old 3 bed Bungalow as part of a insurance claim which they have paid up to us.

We had an electrician come round to quote and bring up to regulations of our wiring, lighting etc. who is contracted to the builder. He came round the day of the start of the work to Isolate part of the supply in the Bungalow he remove 2 electric showers and 1 switch and 1 socket plates. I had to remove a Socket plate which he missed so they can take a wall down. £186.00 quote When he left I checked the Consumer Unit, to Isolate part of the bungalow, he just switched the mcb’s to off none of the MCB’s was removed, no notice was put on the C.U. etc. Should this have been done?

Also 4 points I brought to his attention.

He as quoted for a new consumer unit.
Cheers
For a start off you should not be useing sparkys that the builder has,they will get the bill of the sparky and then put their huge cut on top .

Guys, a little bit of clarification here please, I have always tied the Smoke alarms into the lighting, Primary reason being to stop people isolating them, Am i wrong???

This has been argued to death on this website and no definative answer was agreed, I was always lead to believe that they should share a lighting circuit so as not to be turned off when that beeping starts but others disagree

Reply to Do I trust this Electrician in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock