Discuss Do improvers/mates need insurance? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Matt

-
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I was wondering if while working as a mate/improver on a big site (commercial/residnetial/whatever) one would require a insurance policy? If you are employed through CIS and as a result, a sole trader/self employed.

I never considered anything else apart from an accident and injury policy but what about public liability or professional indemnity?

What are your thoughts?

as a general rule,
if you are invoicing someone for a service, you should have insurance cover for that service.
in many cases it is not compulsory but it is always advisable.
most of my customers require me to provide them with a copy of insurance cert. before I am allowed to work.
sometimes if you are working for someone in a subcontract type arrangement, there insurance will cover you.
if that is what they are claiming to be the case, ask for a copy of the insurance paperwork for you reccords (I.e to read and confirm)

the company that will hire you will have their own insurance considering you are sub contracting.

That's great but, in some cases if there is a claim, the insurance company will pay it and then look to recoup there costs by passing it down the line.

i.e customers house burns down
home insurance pays out

home insurance finds that it was faulty wiring that caused the fire and looks for the company that wired it.

main contractors insurance pays the costs to home insurance company.
they then look at the paperwork and discover that subcontractor "A" did 40% of the work
they then try to chase subcontractor "A" for 40% of the cost of claim as it was impossible to discover who caused the fault.

If you have insurance, you pass it all on to them to deal with and it costs you nothing.

If you don't have insurance, you have to deal with all the paperwork and harassing letters stating that you owe them 40% of the £350,000 claim
with the possibility of having to argue your case in court against the insurance company and their legal team.

I suspect that indemnity insurance will cost you less than you think, get some quotes and see if it is better to have it for the peace of mind.
you should be looking at a few hundred, not a few thousand i would have thought.

That's great but, in some cases if there is a claim, the insurance company will pay it and then look to recoup there costs by passing it down the line.

i.e customers house burns down
home insurance pays out

home insurance finds that it was faulty wiring that caused the fire and looks for the company that wired it.

main contractors insurance pays the costs to home insurance company.
they then look at the paperwork and discover that subcontractor "A" did 40% of the work
they then try to chase subcontractor "A" for 40% of the cost of claim as it was impossible to discover who caused the fault.

If you have insurance, you pass it all on to them to deal with and it costs you nothing.

If you don't have insurance, you have to deal with all the paperwork and harassing letters stating that you owe them 40% of the £350,000 claim
with the possibility of having to argue your case in court against the insurance company and their legal team.

I suspect that indemnity insurance will cost you less than you think, get some quotes and see if it is better to have it for the peace of mind.
you should be looking at a few hundred, not a few thousand i would have thought.

That is exactly the scenario I had in my mind.

That would possibly explain my employer having a guy come around each day and asking what am I working on this specific day. I was thinking that it was a misinformation issue between him and my supervisor, who gets me on work for a given day, but I guess there are other reasons.

Just to close this thread down - from who do you guys get your insurance?

I think there used to be an insuarance company that had its advert on this forum, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Cheers for the advice? Thnk you very much.

been with them a few years, simple and easy to deal with
underwritten by zurich

Reply to Do improvers/mates need insurance? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock