Discuss Do LED lights require specific wiring? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Scotty

DIY
Reaction score
Just changed my outside light (100w bulb) with a security light with PIR fitted with a 1.5w integrated LED light and a 5w LED candle bulb. Can't get the new light to work. There is nothing wrong with the new light as I got it to work with a 3 pin plug. Any ideas anyone?

Hi - theres no special wiring needed, just a circuit with L and N as you had before. Is it possible that something has been disturbed (and a connection broken) during the change - perhaps post up a pic?

Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked the light switch is on, and all the MCBs and rcd’s at the board are on?

If there’s an rcd, it can trip if you touch neutral, even with the circuit mcb isolated.

Hi - theres no special wiring needed, just a circuit with L and N as you had before. Is it possible that something has been disturbed (and a connection broken) during the change - perhaps post up a pic?
Hi Wilko. I will try and elaborate a bit more. There are 2, 2 gang switches in my hallway. Lets call them mirror and window switches. The left hand switch on the mirror is for the 2 way upstairs lights and the right hand switch is for the 2 way downstairs lights. The left hand switch on the window is for the outside light I'm having trouble with, and the right hand switch is for the 2 way downstairs. Prior to changing the o/s light I realised years ago that the o/s light would only work when the 2 way switches for the downstairs lights had to be in a certain position, hence my original question. Don't know if it has always been like this from when the house was built in 1978, or whether the o/s light was fitted by a previous owner. Obviously the wiring is not quite right but would work with the original o/s light. I didn't open the window switch so nothing should be disturbed in there. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked the light switch is on, and all the MCBs and rcd’s at the board are on?

If there’s an rcd, it can trip if you touch neutral, even with the circuit mcb isolated.
Hi Littlespark, I always isolate on the board when I'm doing something like this. Please see my follow up to Wilko. It might shed some light on the subject, excuse the pun.

sounds like the outside light is fed from a switched live instead of a permanent live. should be a 20 minutejob for a spark to sortout. provided the existing wiring can supply the necessary.

sounds like the outside light is fed from a switched live instead of a permanent live. should be a 20 minutejob for a spark to sortout. provided the existing wiring can supply the necessary.
Thanks Telectrix, I tried all the configurations on the downstairs 2 way switches hoping I would get the right one but no joy. Would the switched live stop it from working or should I have got it to work with the right config?
I might have to get a spark out. Hope it is as easy as you say.

you may be unlucky and find that the permanent L is at the wrong switch.

As Wilko said, post pics of the wiring at both switches so we can get an idea of what's what.

As Wilko said, post pics of the wiring at both switches so we can get an idea of what's what.
Hi all,
Thanks for all the advice and help. Wired up the old light via an extended 3 core wire and it lit ok. Noted the 2 way switches for the downstairs light had to both be in the off position, ( switched live as telectrix says). Not a problem as I can put up with that. Wired up the new light via the extended 3 core wire and it lit ok. Wired it up in its permanent position and all OK. As Wilko said, possibly a bad or broken connection. Cheers all, will keep you in mind the next time I cock it up.

Reply to Do LED lights require specific wiring? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock