Discuss Do others filter the potential time wasters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterhyper

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
I am sure there are far more time wasters contacting me than a few years ago, or is it just me being grumpier in older age. I think I'm usually good at sussing out the time wasters and I would say that around a third of the people who contact me I don't even arrange to quote them as I believe they will be wasting my time. I will dismiss anyone that sounds obnoxious and perhaps I'm fortunate that I don't need to work 5 or 6 days a week anymore, so just 3 days work a week I'm happy with (I don't do rewires anymore as I can't be ar**d with the hassle).

I get the majority of the jobs that I actually quote for which is good, and hopefully my filtering out the potential time wasters saves me a lot of time.

Do others do similar to me with regards filtering the potential time wasters out?

Not at all Peter. I arrange to quote for 'nearly' everyone that rings me and I find that very few are time wasters. Just out of interest what is a 'time waster'? Guessing someone who's just looking for a ridiculously cheap quote?

It sounds like you may be a bit cheesed off with the job :(

Its the people who seem offended when you give a really competitive quote and then turn around and say i will think about it or ask you to reduce it more. they dont realise you have overheads, taxes, professional fees and insurance to pay for. its not all going in your pocket. they seem to think you are out to have them over. Its better when people refer you as then they seem to feel comfortable.

It’s all about where you are getting your leads from as well. Recommends and word of mouth will never be time wasters but ‘trust a trader’ or ‘rated people’ may bring in the types that think you owe them something whereas we know it’s the other way around - right kids?

me my self if they want my service ,their will have to pay the price .
like today customer ring up not one but two times .I have a fault on the alarm system .drive 8 miles to the job .get in the house
customer I have been up three night in a row ,me what a shame
me would you like to be up in the middle of the night again .
customer, no .disconnection then. he paid.
some customer think us sparks fly on magic carpets with the fuel
paper work and so on .

I do agree that repeat business and referrals are the best and fortunately I get a fair amount of them.

A time waster comes in many forms and agreed the internet browsers often fall into that category. They will usually be someone that wants really cheap, buys their own cable, switches and sockets and "just" wants me to put them and/or insists that the job they want me to do is a "little, quick or easy job" when usually it's anything but that.

Someone who has a fault and wants me to give them an actual quote as they can't understand why I would charge by the hour, or doesn't understand that I cannot promise to fix the fault on my initial visit and just doesn't get that I will still want paying.

Someone that can't understand why I can't give them a price over the phone to fit an extra socket or an outside light etc without me having no other information or having never been to the property.

The ones that tell me when I will be going to quote them, so they tell me that they want me to be at their house at 7.30pm tonight or 9am on Saturday (not asking me but telling me), they don't ever get to see me.

People that are rude or abrupt, or the ones that tell me if I give them a good price they will get me more work will never see me.

Despite the impression I'm giving, I'm actually a happy friendly bloke and I almost always have a good rapport with my customers and I do take pride in my work and do my best to do a good job (which most customers appreciate and recognise). I don't travel too far nowadays for work and I am lucky that I can be as selective as I am (mortgage paid and no debts). I turn down lots of work from genuine customers because I have learnt to say no (something I used to struggle with). Next week I have only booked 2 days work in (I could have work all week if I wanted) because I have a couple of bits to do and family comes first.

I guess if things dried up completely I might have to consider adjusting my potential time waster filter, but fingers crossed it won't come to that.

In reply to being chessed off with the job, I am definitely not chessed off with the work but my tolerance for time wasters, rude and obnoxious people isn't as high as it once was. Most of the time I am genuinely happy doing the job.

Last edited:
I am amazed by how many people who seem to think I will turn up and do their work for a cup of tea and a slice of cake? They actually seem offended when the card machine comes out for payment for a small job :) I think there are many people who honestly believe they can just have a go having bought the stuff at screw fix and in all honesty are in way over their head. They then get the hump when they have to pay for someone to come in and sort out their mess. I would never dream of having a go at doing the brakes on my car and then call a mechanic in when it doesn't work. However everyone seems to be happy to have a go at their lights and then want me to come out on a Saturday when the RCD keeps popping or the light is permanently on. As for the Facebook donuts who want everything done for a fiver............!

I'm quite fortunate in that I get roughly 30% of my work from an estate agent, 30% from a local dentist who for some reason thinks I am ace and has given my number to so many people it's unreal - she is basically my pimp! And the remaining 40% is largely word of mouth. I do obviously still get new customers, whom I assess when looking at the job; if I think repeat work is likely I start off lowish with my price and bump it up subsequently after they have succumbed to my powers!

I don't not quote anyone, it's very rare it happens, but if I don't get the job I chalk it off to being part and parcel of being self employed.

I have had a funny situation recently where I did quotes for two properties opposite each other. They were completely unrelated and around a month apart. I got neither job. The first one I found rude and demeaning in nature who said my job was very easy and that her boyfriend plasterer would have done it all but it needed signing off. I put in a daft price and waffled on like crazy in the quote about Zs's, trip times, RCD testing etc just to annoy her! The second house literally across the road tried to knock my price down, I did double check it and it was competitive. So I told him to find someone who fits Lap and Marbo and enjoys working for next to nowt! I may blacklist that end of that particular street!

I'm in the process of getting a new website, and I am going to put a bit on it about how trades are actually not that expensive when all things are considered.

I do work for my dentist and he passes my name onto his customers as they chat with his hands in their mouths! It’s just how it happens.

I try and make my first hour £30 but sometimes the job is too easy and in those instances that I lose out a bit I always end up getting more work within a week or two. It’s another word of mouth as well which is (near) priceless.

Never advertise,never work for anyone unknown-unless brokered through an outfit that will stand any unpaid costs,never use find-a-whateverthing,never fail on an intended task,never barter.....the list is lengthy ;)

Can i be the new government small business adviser,yet? :rolleyes:

People ask for my card. I always say never had or need one I have enough work. I have always got work in London, Scotland and Bristol and wherever I go. I suppose I have been very fortunate. Over forty years I have had three "memorable" customers which odds wise is way beyond incredibly lucky considering some of the stories and frequency of troubles I have heard from other trades. There is a class of person out there who are premeditated, professional welchers who know they are not going to pay and know how to use the law and spurious complaints to stymy any redress. I can just about spot them now.
Contract and deposit is a golden rule with me especially domestic. Under contract law standard terms commercially are advances for "materials on site" (JCT) which I usually insist on, but have never had trouble in a commercial context.

Reply to Do others filter the potential time wasters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net