Discuss Do sockets on trains have rcds?............ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Currently on train to paddington to get to gatwick.
Using socket to charge my phone and tablet.
Wondered if sockets have rcd protection on the train?
Is each carriage on its own board or breaker?
The amount of people plugged in I imagine there is quite a bit of earth leakage. One woman has hair irons plugged in! And mirror on table in front of her. It hasnt overloaded sockets despite signs saying phones and laptops only.
Just curious and bored so got me thinking.

Well there's one way to find out :D
(joking, of course, but doubt I'm the first thinking it...)
I feel naked without my leatherman multi!!!
Could do with a socket tester with rcd function to see and maybe to trip it and find out...lol but i have images of the train coming to a grinding halt.
I imagine with the new electrification on the great western line that its a mix of power from the on board engine and overhead.
Assuming the overhead are DC and not AC?
There must be a railways spark on here with the answer.

Now on Gatwick express, they too have nice sockets to use!!

I feel naked without my leatherman multi!!!
Could do with a socket tester with rcd function to see and maybe to trip it and find out...lol but i have images of the train coming to a grinding halt.
I imagine with the new electrification on the great western line that its a mix of power from the on board engine and overhead.
Assuming the overhead are DC and not AC?
There must be a railways spark on here with the answer.

Now on Gatwick express, they too have nice sockets to use!!

Overhead is AC.

I have no idea if the trains have RCDs but I imagine they probably do.

Next time you’re in the train Gavin take ya testers and run the ramp test from the socket,what’s the worst that could happen?...........o_O
Have to make sure its a quiet train or a late one.!! I bet you get a good earth reading. Would treat it like a Ra test on a rod??
Could you imagine the looks and panic if i pulled a kewtech or megger out my hand luggage and plugged it in the mains sockets dotted around airplanes.. they are usually behind little panels, just got to know where to look.one way ticket to guantanamo i think!!

Third rail is 650V DC. Interesting reading about the different systems that have evolved in the U.K. since the late 19th century. Dying to make some sort of jokey reference to Pete999 but I think I’ll leave him alone tonight. :D

Judging by the age of some of the rolling stock I’d be surprised if the even had electric, normally the conductor on our trains goes round lighting the lamps at dusk...

Reply to Do sockets on trains have rcds?............ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock