Discuss Do we use the correct type of RCD's for our installations ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just as a matter for friendly discussion, I think most of the sparks on here know which B or C type breaker etc to use for a particular application, but do we give any thought to the possible different types of RCD's there may be and their applications ? Setting aside time delay which is common, if you picked up (Say) an MK RCD would you be able to tell by looking at the symbol on the front if it was a type AC, type A or a type B ? and more importantly would you apply some thought to their design use and the installation you are about to fit it to ?

Play nicely...;)

ATB Steve

Now steve would that be a BSEN 61008 MAin switch or a BSEN61009 RCBO i always if im using the 61009 see what the circuit is being used for and also wether its domestic or industrial as industrial normally have a 10ka psc and 6 ka for domestic is this what your saying or am i barking up the wrong tree ,wouldnt be the first time

Now steve would that be a BSEN 61008 MAin switch or a BSEN61009 RCBO i always if im using the 61009 see what the circuit is being used for and also wether its domestic or industrial as industrial normally have a 10ka psc and 6 ka for domestic is this what your saying or am i barking up the wrong tree ,wouldnt be the first time

Or a 4293 even.......

Well it might interest you to know that MK RCBO's are A rated so AC+Pulsating DC where the most common RCD off the shelf ( Setting aside delayed ) would be type AC denoted by the single waveform, might be worth having a read up if your doing installs with a lot IT gear in it.

ATB Steve

Reply to Do we use the correct type of RCD's for our installations ? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net