Discuss Do you NEED Level 2 AND Level 3 tech certs for JIB Gold Card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mestizomad

Hi,

Due to my experience in construction and other Level 3 qualifications in Construction, i have been told that i can go straight onto a Level 3 C&G 2365 course.

However i was reading elsewhere that you NEED both Level 2 and Level 3 to apply for a JIB Gold Card etc.

Is this true? Or is Level 3 tech cert + NVQ 3 enough?

Cheers

if you have the knowledge you can bypass level 2 and go straight in on level 3 , then nvq3.

a bit like saying if you have a A level, you don't need an O level.

if you have the knowledge you can bypass level 2 and go straight in on level 3 , then nvq3.

a bit like saying if you have a A level, you don't need an O level.

Yep, otherwise we'd all have to start at the Level 1 surely.

Hi again,

Let's just say i've got my C&G 2365 L3 + 17th Wiring over a year from now, and i've started my NVQ3 and I am filling it out slowly.

What kind of hourly pay should i expect as a trainee electrician? I've heard as low as £4.50 per hour? pay treated as an apprentice.

Cheers

Nah, you'd be a stage 3 trainee as far as I'm aware (by the JIB standards), so whatever that is - £13p/h ish?

It will depend on your age and the company you work for. If they are not JIB registered then they dont have to pay you JIB rates. For an apprentice under 18 it's about 3.30 per hour. If you are an adult trainee then you may well get 8/9 quid per hour. It will also depend on what area you work in. JIB rates up here (north) for a qualified spark is only about £13 per hour.

Jay

It will depend on your age and the company you work for. If they are not JIB registered then they dont have to pay you JIB rates. For an apprentice under 18 it's about 3.30 per hour. If you are an adult trainee then you may well get 8/9 quid per hour. It will also depend on what area you work in. JIB rates up here (north) for a qualified spark is only about £13 per hour.

Jay

I agree that just because the JIB say those should be the rates doesn't mean you're going to get it. However, here's the rates for the trainee section. And adult trainee should be on nearly £11 per hour. Now my understanding is, that's a trainee without quals. After getting a L2 tech cert you're known in the trade as an Improver, so that's £12.42 an hour. I would then argue L3 tech cert (ie completed and on with NVQ L3) is trainee stage 3 and should be on £13.14 an hour.

I'm half way through level 3 and am being paid trainee stage 2 wages - I think it's fair.

View attachment 35215

It's gone up a lot since I last looked at it a few years back know.lol even now a lot of companies are only paying £12/13 per hour PAYE and £15 per hour subby if fully qualified.

I suppose it will all depend on the company the OP works for as they will need to sponser him and he will have to prove is working towards nvq 3 and am2.

Jay

With regards to C&G 2357 and 2365 and the AM2, I am half way through both of these as doing them side by side. I spoke to NAPIT about when I eventually can join up to competent persons scheme and they say that you need the 2357 L3 and the 2394 test and inspect, you dont need AM2 to join up as a domestic spark, is this true? My training provider tells me this is not the case, but I don't know who to trust as both parties just want my money IMO! And after a lot of searching online and asking various people there seems to be a hell of a lot of misconceptions and confusion as to which courses from which bodies you need in order to be a fully qualified electrician. Which seems madness to me... why is there no official pathway/route outlining the exact requirements? Or is there? As nobody in the know has pointed me to it yet, very frustrating....

With regards to C&G 2357 and 2365 and the AM2, I am half way through both of these as doing them side by side. I spoke to NAPIT about when I eventually can join up to competent persons scheme and they say that you need the 2357 L3 and the 2394 test and inspect, you dont need AM2 to join up as a domestic spark, is this true? My training provider tells me this is not the case, but I don't know who to trust as both parties just want my money IMO! And after a lot of searching online and asking various people there seems to be a hell of a lot of misconceptions and confusion as to which courses from which bodies you need in order to be a fully qualified electrician. Which seems madness to me... why is there no official pathway/route outlining the exact requirements? Or is there? As nobody in the know has pointed me to it yet, very frustrating....

Why are you doing these two together?? The 2357 is an apprenticeship and is far superior to the 2365 as this is only a technical cert. In-fact, what you will learn in the 2365 you will learn in the 2357 plus a bit more!! Most people that do the 2365 lvl 3, end up getting a job with an electrical firm, and then go on to do the 2357 apprenticeship and they use some of the units from the 2365 to map across to the 2357 as APL (achieved prior learning). And if you do the 2357 apprenticeship, you will need to the AM2 as it is part of the framework.

Now a days the only real way to become qualified is to do the 2357 apprenticeship or the new 5357 apprenticeship. But the 2365 lvl 3 on its own is only a tech cert and you would need the nvq 2356 as well to be fully qualified. Hope this helps a bit.

Jay

Thanks for your reply, I'm not an apprentice, I sort my course out and pay for it all myself, I worked for a firm for 3 years and now looking to sub-contract whilst I finish my L3, so all I really need is the 2357 and the AM2? Is the 2365 unnecessary?

If you are not on an apprenticeship, you can't be doing the 2357. If you are doing the 2365 tech cert, then I think you can still do the 2356 nvq. Try XS Training who are a forum sponsor I believe. They do the 2356-99 nvq (I think it's called) and they cater for anyone around the UK. With your previous experience and possibly age, you may not need to do the am2 but if so, I think they also sort this out as well.

Jay

Thanks for the info, and not to sound a know it all, I am 100% signed onto the 2357 & 2365, and have paid £2500 so far with a further £500 to go, hence why I a concerned that I have got this far and now being told different things about my courses!

Well if you are on the 2357 you don't need to be on the 2365. You are basically doing a tech cert (2365) and a tech cert combined with nvq (2357).

I agree that just because the JIB say those should be the rates doesn't mean you're going to get it. However, here's the rates for the trainee section. And adult trainee should be on nearly £11 per hour. Now my understanding is, that's a trainee without quals. After getting a L2 tech cert you're known in the trade as an Improver, so that's £12.42 an hour. I would then argue L3 tech cert (ie completed and on with NVQ L3) is trainee stage 3 and should be on £13.14 an hour.

I'm half way through level 3 and am being paid trainee stage 2 wages - I think it's fair.

View attachment 35215

Hey,

Thanks for the extensive response. Those are much better pay than I expected!

I did see a Level3 trainee card, but I wasn't sure if I would qualify for that,

Cheers

I am a little bit skeptical though. I don't wanna spend thousands of pounds over the next 2+ years, only to find that the market is oversaturated wit Sparkies and that the pay is hardly any better then my current Full Time (easy) job.

I'm happy to work hard, but only if the pay is better then my current quite laid back and zero commute office job.

I'm also suspisious of training providers, especially when they don't offer any help with finding work.

I've been looking all over the place online, and i can barely find any work for Electrical Improvers or Trainees. And even jobs advertised for fully trained sparkies are ranging around £13 per hour with Gold Card.

Reply to Do you NEED Level 2 AND Level 3 tech certs for JIB Gold Card? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock