• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Do you need the 2391 course to certificate or is the 2330 enough? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We did inspection and testing in college, and i'm wondering if I would need the 2391 course as well to certificate, or is this just to improve your ability to inspect and test? I remember filling out some sort of certificate on the exam. I have a fluke multifunction tester and it doesn't seem to me there's any more tests that what we learnt at college.

We did inspection and testing in college, and i'm wondering if I would need the 2391 course as well to certificate, or is this just to improve your ability to inspect and test? I remember filling out some sort of certificate on the exam. I have a fluke multifunction tester and it doesn't seem to me there's any more tests that what we learnt at college.
Its not specifically the 2391 you need to certify work but thats the most current qualification that will ensure you can along with being a member of a cps scheme. Otherwise its pay your local council for each job to be certified making work uncompetitive. The 2391- 50 is for initial verification certification, the 2391-51 is periodic and the 2391-52 is the full course covering both so it depends what sort of work you want to certify (and how much you want to pay). Remember its about working safely and being legally covered. The cps schemes provide you with this coverage and most (all good ones) require you to be fully qualified and experienced. Hope that helps.

There’s two things here, don’t get mixed up.

There’s CERTIFICATION of electrical work. You don’t need any exams to do this (unfortunately). Competence in electrical work and the ability to carry out the necessary tests is all that is needed.

Then there in NOTIFICATION of certain electrical work (new circuits, consumer units, etc).
If you are carrying out this sort of work, you should join one of the competent person schemes (NAPIT, NICEIC, etc). Joining a CPS will allow you to cheaply and easily notify jobs without having to raise a building notice with the council for every job. Each has different membership qualifications. NAPIT used to require 2391, but may not need this now.

Reply to Do you need the 2391 course to certificate or is the 2330 enough? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back