Discuss Do you need to do continuity tests on minor work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dazsafc

As Title says. On the Minor Works Certs from the IEE they dont have any boxes for continuty tests. Only insulation tests and Polarity. Do you still have to test for continunity if you are only have to fill in a Minor Works Cert where for a alteration to the Lighting or adding a new socket to a ring main.
Plus do you have to fill out a minor Works Cert for changing a Light Fitted etc.
Finally when doing the Loop Impedance on a Minor Works Cert. Do you test the Loop Impedance of the Point Furthest away on the circuit, instead dont the loop test on the Circuit but do a Loop Impedance at the CU
Thanks Darren. Trying to get into doing non notifable work for the time being as I am not with an Elecsa NIC etc

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS TEST FOR CONTINUITY . You know that your P and N are ok because the light works. What sets you above 99% of the population is that you know that something else has to be there if the light stops working!!

As Title says. On the Minor Works Certs from the IEE they dont have any boxes for continuty tests. Only insulation tests and Polarity. Do you still have to test for continunity if you are only have to fill in a Minor Works Cert where for a alteration to the Lighting or adding a new socket to a ring main.
Plus do you have to fill out a minor Works Cert for changing a Light Fitted etc.
Finally when doing the Loop Impedance on a Minor Works Cert. Do you test the Loop Impedance of the Point Furthest away on the circuit, instead dont the loop test on the Circuit but do a Loop Impedance at the CU
Thanks Darren. Trying to get into doing non notifable work for the time being as I am not with an Elecsa NIC etc

If your checking polarity, then surely you would be just deemed lazy not testing continuity (r1+r2). Atleast you could check you are still within the required dissconection times, and then possibly get some sleep that night?

It's the most basic of tests & needs to be done.

Finally when doing the Loop Impedance on a Minor Works Cert. Do you test the Loop Impedance of the Point Furthest away on the circuit

It is done at the furthes point of the circuit or at mid point of ringfinal.

instead dont the loop test on the Circuit but do a Loop Impedance at the CU

Not sure what you are wanting here but, if you do EFLI at the cu on the tails this is the Ze.
To get the EFLI of a circuit it must be done at furthest point as already said & this is your Zs

Trying to get into doing non notifable work for the time being
Now please do not take this the wrong way but I would brush up on testing & knowledge first.

as I am not with an Elecsa NIC etc

You will defo need to brush up & will need to show some notifiable work to join any scheme operator.

What quals do you have? out of interest.

i have 16th edition - 2360 part1 and 2 and am2 - been out of the scence for 7 years and i am currently working at a call centre but im suspended till wed for throwing a notepad. so was worried im for the bullet. i applied for 17 edition course at college for in sep and i have to do that before i can do an inspect and testin course. its maybe just getting by, before i could join a registored body.

i am currently working at a call centre but im suspended till wed for throwing a notepad.

Go on.....

so was worried im for the bullet.

from a call centre?? worried?? bullet...face.... bovvered? Dude, where's the loss? Tell the line manager to remove the notepad from his nostril and go make a positive contribution to the gene pool by drowning himself in a f8ckin' bucket. The arse will probably be outsourced and kicking his tin back to the jobcentre within the next year or so anyway. You can wave at him as you speed past on your way to your next job!

...i applied for 17 edition course at college for in sep and i have to do that before i can do an inspect and testin course. its maybe just getting by, before i could join a registored body.

Just do it, how much prior experience do you have and in what field ind/comm/dom?

I did Get the Bullit. Only the major thing is my partner left me for someone else. She Moved out the house and got another house with another guy, Anyhow thats another story. So I havent been on here for the past week. Im trying to stick to basics for the min and Get back into Call Centre Industry although proving difficult With having Dismissed for Gross Misconduct on my CV. Havent the motivation yet to sort out my tools, etc and Think about when working for a company as an Electrician or doing for myself and with no money coming in cant think about buying the Test Equipment, So.............
For the Moment I will have to put this on hold... Thanks For the Advice

I did Get the Bullit. Only the major thing is my partner left me for someone else. She Moved out the house and got another house with another guy, Anyhow thats another story. So I havent been on here for the past week. Im trying to stick to basics for the min and Get back into Call Centre Industry although proving difficult With having Dismissed for Gross Misconduct on my CV. Havent the motivation yet to sort out my tools, etc and Think about when working for a company as an Electrician or doing for myself and with no money coming in cant think about buying the Test Equipment, So.............

**** happens,just go on the **** for a few weeks ,then things might look better:)

What did you really do as throwing a notebook is not classified as GROSS MISCONDUCT, going sick and being caught playing football or being somewhere else(another job) is but not as you said for throwing a book, did you hit someone?:eek:

Last edited:

Reply to Do you need to do continuity tests on minor work in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock