Discuss do you still need to contact DNO when exporting TNCS earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi

dont want to open the usual debate re tncs earth, looking for where i can find out the answer as to weather the DNO still needs to give permission for there earth to be exported any one help ?

Special consideration should be given to the earthing and protection arrangements for certain installations where reliance on the connection of the consumer’s protective conductor with the distributor’s combined neutral and protective conductor could result in more significant risks. For example, installations where it may prove difficult to attach and maintain all the necessary equipotential bonding connections (e.g. farms or building sites), installations at certain wet environments (e.g. swimming pools and petrol filling stations) and certain installations outside the equipotential zone of buildings (e.g. certain types of street furniture). Further advice may be sought from the Health and Safety Executive or the Institution of Electrical Engineers.

The above is taken from the ESQCR-2002 Section/regulation 9(4)

When it was the good old fashioned the Electricity Supply Regulations 1988 that actually had a section regarding exporting/extending the equipotential zone and you did in theory have to contact the DNO

Now though the ESQCR-2002 make the distributors maintain a much safer and more reliable network and so the dreaded lost neutral, though technically can still happen, is less likely.

So for an extending the equipotential zone out to a shed/garage no you would not have to call the DNO now. In fact if you did call them I would be amazed if

a) you would get to talk to anyone who had a clue what you were talking about

b) If you found someone that did, they would say ask an electrician

Think you'll find they are not really interested. I don't know where this term ''Export or Exporting'' comes from to be honest as you are ''Extending'' rather than Exporting!! Especially when your taking a bonding conductor with you, to connect to extraneous services etc....

thats what i thought re contacting the DNO finding someone who knew would be impossible. Nothing in wiring regulations pertaining to exporting the tncs earth only regurding certain special locations. i use the term export when not extending the EZ via 10mm bonding conductor if there are no extrenuous conductive parts.

Reply to do you still need to contact DNO when exporting TNCS earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock