Discuss Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Good morning

I am a consumer, an accidental landlord, which means I rent out my former home as my circumstances changed a few years ago.

I need an EICR in order to carry on renting my flat.

The NICEIC registered electrician that came turned out to be unqualified and the report not worth the paper it is written on. I know this because I had another electrician look at it. Even without looking at the installation, a novice like me can see that the report is full of ambiguity with a frightening array of C2 codes. It was quite clear that faults had been invented so that this company could charge for further work.

I made a complaint to the NICEIC and they acknowledged there were ‘issues’ but insist that the original company returns to put the matter right.

This makes absolutely no sense to me and I have 2 questions.

1. If this person/company was incompetent (and probably dishonest) the first time around, why would he/they be any more competent or honest the next time?

2. What qualifications should I be looking for to engage a competent, experienced EICR-capable electrician?

I have read on your forum that even electricians with 20 years’ experience can struggle to pass the exams to do an EICR and can still trip over these codes.

This is all part of a bigger story which I’ll be happy to share, but let me start with that.

Thanks for your time.

JH4JILL
I’ve been an electrician for over 30 years and these condition reports are a steep learning curve and I would say I’m still not there 100%.but I tend to pick up the same problems.over 50 to 70% a new fuseboard is needed because everything has to be protected by an red.also las to be metal.the bathroom light has to be ip rated most times it’s not.the fan if it’s in zone 2 has to be extra low voltage.gas and water bonded. Continuity of ring main these ar Ed main problems anyway.you could be looking at 700 for this and at the moment it isn’t out the ordinary.people might disagree
I admit myself I’m not 100% there but I’m nearly there.just by a visual check I can tell the land lord the direction he will be going in.another one is smoke detectors linkedthey are £40 each so it soon builds up

I’ve been an electrician for over 30 years and these condition reports are a steep learning curve and I would say I’m still not there 100%.but I tend to pick up the same problems.over 50 to 70% a new fuseboard is needed because everything has to be protected by an red.also las to be metal.the bathroom light has to be ip rated most times it’s not.the fan if it’s in zone 2 has to be extra low voltage.gas and water bonded. Continuity of ring main these ar Ed main problems anyway.you could be looking at 700 for this and at the moment it isn’t out the ordinary.people might disagree
I admit myself I’m not 100% there but I’m nearly there.just by a visual check I can tell the land lord the direction he will be going in.another one is smoke detectors linkedthey are £40 each so it soon builds up
Actually, 240V fans are fine even in zone 1, if they are the relevant IP rating (can't remember off the top of my head - 67?)- though 12V ones are sometimes a better idea.

The bathroom light one is perhaps the most common picked up for sure, because seemingly every new build in the 80s and 90s around here just put a pendant in - though even then outside of zones (including above 2.25m which most ceilings are), then there are no specific IP requirements.

Though some things depend on whether you have a NAPIT EICR or not, of course.....

I know it’s not relevant to this particular situation, but in Scotland, smoke detectors do need to be linked... in every home, not just rented.
yes, but not in the remit of an EICR, unless they are installed with non-compliant wiring.

yes, but not in the remit of an EICR, unless they are installed with non-compliant wiring.
Afraid they are in Scotland. The short form tenancy agreement and/or Housing Act asks us to comment on the fire detection when undertaking an EICR. I appreciate you would not know that being in England. BS7671 also reference BS5839 within the fundamental principles - 110.1 so, personally I'd comment on fire detection.

Afraid they are in Scotland. The short form tenancy agreement and/or Housing Act asks us to comment on the fire detection when undertaking an EICR. I appreciate you would not know that being in England. BS7671 also reference BS5839 within the fundamental principles - 110.1 so, personally I'd comment on fire detection.
i would also comment on itbut there is no mention of fire detection on any of the BS7671 EICR forms.

i would also comment on itbut there is no mention of fire detection on any of the BS7671 EICR forms.
I agree. In view of the importance of having adequate working smoke alarms, I always add a comment (with no code), if there are no smoke alarms, or if there's a problem with the smoke alarms. It's just something I do. Because I'm that kinda guy.

Reply to Dodgy EICR (Consumer) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net