Discuss dodgy landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

U

ukfroggy

Sister, just moved in into a newly renovated bungalow, and the hot plate is wired in but the oven is not.

She reported the issue and the landlord said to just put in a 13A plug on it and plug it in the socket that is hidden in the cubboard beside it.

Told her not do touch it with a barge pole, sounds like the guy should pay an electrician. The worry is that if she tell him to get it sorted, the guy gonna put a 13A plug on the oven himself.

Not too sure how strongly she should put the argument, as she don't really want to sleep outside neither with her 2 kids.

Any law or building reg specific that can help, so she can point the guy in the right direction?

Morally you are correct, but not sure about putting a plug top on mate, if it was a major electrical job i would say don,t touch it, but a plug top, well , not sure.

A lot of single ovens these days are rated at around 13 Amps so it may be perfectly ok.

If you do put a plug on, the worse that COULD happen is that it will keep blowing the 13A fuse.

If thats the case then it needs hard wiring into its own dedicated circuit.

Just as a matter of interest mate and i should really have asked you this before, whats the oven rated at, there will be a spec plate somewhere usually on the back.

According to the wattage, a plug-top with a 13A fuse fitted should be fine..
If it was my house i would have it fitted on its own supply anyway, just to take the loading off the ring main.
It also depends if the kitchen is on its own ring, all downstairs on one ring, or is the house on one big ring, could also have a broken ring or some bodgy electrician decided on a big radial..:)
Hope this helped..

make sure you check the manufacturers DESTRUCTIONS as a lot say do not wire into plug but hard wire.

we had a kitchen fitted by a so called part p qualified kitchen fitter last year, before I qualified and when i came to change my cu I found he had just plugged the cooker in and plugged the fridge and freezer into the ring (and not via fused spurs as he told us when he'd finished) behind all the built in bits. so until i have time and the money to redo it all, if a fuse goes i have to rip out half my kitchen.

strangley enough i can't get him to talk to me now. oh yes and he never gave me a single cert to show he had tested anything as he also put in spurs which he then spurred off of as well. god the list goes on.

Reply to dodgy landlord in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock