Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Dodgy meter move, how to fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all

I have just bought an old house. At some point in the past someone moved the meter and consumer unit from their original position next to the incoming head (?) to about 8m away, using pyro cable. There is also a 60A fuse next to the meter. I don't know what size the fuse in the head is yet, as this is handily boxed in behind some plywood. I assume this move wasn't entirely legal.

Now I need to uprate everything to 100A for a new shower, but UK Power Networks have washed their hands of this by claiming that they can't uprate the cabling between their head and the other fuse/meter/CU, and that I should get an electrician to do it, before they can fit a 100A fuse. I called a reputable electrician and he said he wouldn't touch it. He gave me the number for a less reputable electrician who will do it, but I want to ensure that he is doing something safe, if still not entirely legal.

What should I do here? Should UKPN be doing this instead? Or even my electricity supplier's engineer?

thanks

Dan

Aico 3000 Range

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I can understand both opinions.
UKPN have not authorized the original move of the meter, so why should they have to pay for the new cable.
Electricians are not meant to to any work before the main meter.
Have you asked UKPN for a quote, to see how much they will charge for the work?

D

Deleted member 26818

Another option is of course, that the work was done by the REC before UKPN took over, but UKPN have no records of the work.

Can the meter go back where you think it was next to the service head, with a small switch fuse or similar. You could then run a submain to the CU location and all would be above board.

S

Squid

Should be a simple job as I had the same situation in my flat rebuild, the head terminated in a neighbours flat below (old 70's conversion) my sparks ran an armoured from there to the new meter position and all was fine, where in London are you?

Oh and fit a proper shower.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Yes, some pics please.
Painfully Interestingly, your supplier of electricity own the meter and we are not permitted to break the seals on the meter to attach the new cables you will require.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I have seen repositioned meters like this before, one wired in Pyro the other in concentric cable, both done by DNO.

Sounds like a job done before privatisation. The tails from the cut out to the meter are normally the suppliers problem not the DNO. But most suppliers only seem interested in renewing tails a short distance. I would contact the supplier and get the meter put back next to the cut out and ask for an isolation switch. The tails from the isolation switch to the consumer unit are your problem/ electricians.

Yeah you need to contact your energy supplier. Some do this for free but a 8m run unlikely. Best to have meter moved back next to the service head.

S

Squid

Sounds like a job done before privatisation. The tails from the cut out to the meter are normally the suppliers problem not the DNO. But most suppliers only seem interested in renewing tails a short distance. I would contact the supplier and get the meter put back next to the cut out and ask for an isolation switch. The tails from the isolation switch to the consumer unit are your problem/ electricians.
Funny but I only noticed when I renovated my flat that the Pyro went to the CSU and the main fuse was in a cupboard next to the head in the flat below.

I think in a lot of these scenarios as you say was before privatisation and happened a lot where houses where converted in to flats, can't imagine the younger sparks being able to terminate a PYRO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all for the replies. I forgot to mention that my supplier (Bulb) also refused to get involved. UKPN have refused to do the work, and would not quote.

I had been wondering about the seals, since presumably only UKPN can open up their head, and only Bulb can open up the meter, so how does anything ever get done without at least two parties there simultaneously?

I like the idea of moving the meter, perhaps I ca re-phrse it in those terms to Bulb. But aren't you supposed to limit meter tails to 3m?

Reply to Dodgy meter move, how to fix? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom