Discuss dodgy shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

guinnessgixer

I went to a property today to do a repair in a bathroom for a letting agent, upon entry noticed the shower cubicle had an electric shower fitted very low down, instead of the riser rail being above it, it was on the wall next to it so when the tenant ran the shower it would spray all over the low down shower, now the bad bit, it had the cable coming down from the ceiling in trunking and it entered the top of the shower unit and was gobbed up with silicone??!! also the isolater switch is directly above the shower cubicle,
i wasn't in there to look at the shower but reported it to the agent and told them it must be rectified but they said it had passed an electrical inspection,
only good thing is it was all rcd protected, but i feel a bit uneasy about it, would you guys of disconnected it and demanded a repair??

I recently had an argument with my NICEIC engineer about electric showers and the fact water can pour onto them, and the fact everything is generally 12 volts these days except showers, lmao, anyhow I couldn't beat him and he insisted water on the shower didn't matter as they were manufactured to cope with it :59: anyhow if there is silocone in the top it is okay isn't it :38:

if the installation instructions for the shower are obeyed no prob
theres no way a shower can be below a ceartain hight

It was really the way the top had been butchered to alow the trunking to go inside the shower and then gobbed up with silicone that worried me, it was defo letting water inside, the silicone had all come loose!

The NICEIC and IEE are charities and donations given to them by many companies, maybe some are companies who make showers (don't want to get sued here haha) this is why 230 volt showers are still allowed in cubicles although lights and fans above them have to be 12 volts (over a certain distance of course), My suggestion is to have showers in lofts or cupboards outside the bathrooms and have 12 volt remote control buttons in the cubicles to avoid the 230 potential volts which could be in there, My inspector didn't like my views lol, but I still reckon one day it will happen and I will be proved right. He nearly agreed but when I mentioned the donations bit he then changed his mind, I am an approved contractor and domestic installer, not just domestic installer by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah a shame I suppose, still at least it is warm there, I love christmas, 2 weeks of beer drinking and having rows with the family, can't wait :carolers:

I found a cut 6mm shower cable once, under a bank of hairdressing sinks, resting on the main water feed (copper). No bonding, cable live, on an old 3036 fuse. Just millimetres away from energising the taps....whoever did it ( in fact one of the girls' dad did it, a plumber) obviously didnt think it needed disconnecting

operative word there, "plumber". what more do you expect from a pipe monkey?

Reply to dodgy shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net