Discuss Dodgy Socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

ngoodson1969

Hi all,

I replaced a 2 gang socket today that had a neutral fault, the socket itself was knackered, one half wasn't working at all. Anyway, since I have replaced it, the circuit keeps tripping the MCB every half hour or so. Any ideas? Socket is fine now by the way.

Nick

Is the replacement socket a good make, have you tried replacing the new socket with another new one? Have you done an IR test on the circuit?

Is it the MCB tripping or is it the RCD?

My thinking is if it was OK before you started then its got to be something you did.

The replacement is an Alto from WF. No, I haven't done an IR test on the circuit.
There is no RCD protection, it is the MCB that's tripping. I will try another socket but would be surprised if it was the problem. Still, you never know.

Cheers
Nick

If i'ts a flush box i'ts likely you have pinched the live conductor when screwing the socket back,although you would expect the mcb to trip immediately.Do a IR test ,and check whether there was already an overload issue before you worked on the circuit.

Reply to Dodgy Socket in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

An RCD keeps tripping. Please see attached photo of the board (2 photos attached). I’ll call the breakers: MCB (1) marked ‘Upstairs lighting’...
Replies
Views
Hi, I swapped a 2 gang switched socket for a 2 gang switchless socket with usb ports downstairs. I switched off all the power to the house by...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Gone to look at a intermittent ground floor sockets fault today, the RCBO was tripping at random times with no pattern. Nailed down a...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I'm having trouble diagnosing a fault on a customers downstairs socket ring, which only ever trips when the washing machine is used. The...
Replies
Views
Hello I have some decking lights which to be fair, have been nothing but pain in the bottom since they were installed. Moisture in the lens lamps...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock