Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The back box is all but gone. Wagoed the conductors which were still there and a couple of layers of heat shrink.

So got called out today... cooker circuit tripping the RCD. Turns out, it's cooker, sockets and extractor hood on a 16A breaker, with washing machine on one, gas hob, electric oven.

Get's it down to a L-E short on the cable from the CU to the SFCU that has the hob and oven connected to it, yes... both of them on one. Turns out there are two sets of cables in the conduit, great I think, pull some slack through and use the other L... except that has a L-E short as well. Ok, use the neutral and sleeve it... Couldn't get any movement on it and it's snipped off close to the wall at the far end... nightmare.

But check out this quality work...

Lovely bit of arson there from a gas fitter.
View attachment 47247

View attachment 47248

View attachment 47249

The conclusion I've drawn is (because apparently the RCD tripping has been going on for a while getting more and more frequent) is that some plum has hammered/damaged the conduit and consequently the cables and it's finally given up. Would have been grand if I could have pulled the slack through, but as it is got to run a new cable and make it safe. What a bloody lash up.
Looks quite sticky in there Sparkychick, I don’t like sticky kitchens!

2'' 12s yep that should fix
That's no good i use 10 inch bolts right through to the other side of the wall
Does mean you can see where the sockets are from outside the house
Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

top pic next to the attempted arson. are those blacks charred? if so looks like the wet-pants is the culprit.

Couldn't be arsed to go to the van to get a heat mat.

I've watched them do this kind of stupidity, to suggest they use a heat mat is to question their very being, a proper existential crisis.

usually ends with wetpant toys thrown to the four corners.

Call out the other day. Old 3036 rewirable. Fuse blew on lights so customer tries replacing it several times. Each time it blows again and again!! Pig of a job to trace fault. Removed all the lamps and IR tested less than 1Meg ohm. Start undoing switches and battens to find CPC's randomly missing. Looked in attic under 2 foot of insulation and found an old 30A JB used for lighting with about 10 cables crammed in so the lid wouldn't fit. Loads of vermin damage to cables observed. We were scratching our heads when the old lady mentions a cable out back that's been dangling down onto the ground ever since they moved in 18 months ago. Upon inspection we found a toasted frog that had clearly bridged the line and neutral (cable had no CPC). 'Do you think thats the problem' husband asks? 'Well given that you have a fried frog welded to the end of the cable I'm guessing so' I answer.
All made safe but place was an electricalDodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_9036.JPG - EletriciansForums.net fire waiting to happen.

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_9037.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_9038.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_9039.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_9040.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

This caused me a headache today...

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 84BCBC01-4054-4E39-AA78-247B1FE1A10C - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 57319370-882D-408B-A96C-50E95B5D678E - EletriciansForums.net

Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! E8858645-CC94-4223-8863-04BE11C0C952 - EletriciansForums.net

If it wasnt a regular customer who had just moved house, i would have walked!

A new C/U will be going in on the weekend, extending and connecting the earths in the light switches which are snipped off!, and fitting earth sleeving throughout all the sockets.
I dont think im going to get much of a weekend for myself...

However im going to be a bit different and use a busbar to connect my RCBO’s together.....

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock