Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Room stat where they have used the cpc as a live...?

And what heck is that metal bracket poking out the wall

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Julie.

Arms
Esteemed
View attachment 59040
panicked me for a split second....
Absolutely disgusting!

That needs to get fixed - decent wallpaper isn't that expensive!

Simon47

-
Arms
Esteemed
Will the NICEIC be bothered if I reported it & asked them to come & inspect?
Doubt it - anecdotally they don't seem to be bothered unless it's so obviously dangerous that they can't find a reason to ignore it. Can you argue that segregation has been lost between your ELV cabling and their mains.

... they have strung their cables from the rafters, using offcuts of T&E with a screw through it for cable supports.
Plastic coated metal hangers then :)

Doubt it - anecdotally they don't seem to be bothered unless it's so obviously dangerous that they can't find a reason to ignore it. Can you argue that segregation has been lost between your ELV cabling and their mains.

Plastic coated metal hangers then :)
seen the old off cuts cable hangers loads of times usually just nailed to the joist...
it’s not a bad way to bunch cables and to hold them up in place.
i have even done it myself when I was out of all round band.
:)

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I was instantly inclined to the same view as Julie...however, paper like that, if properly hung, could designate the prescribed zones...you'd just have to get the stripes in the right places...

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Came back to a house refurb. Ariel man couldn’t be arsed to drill his own holes.

Attachments

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Came back to a house refurb. Ariel man couldn’t be arsed to drill his own holes.
It it was my house, I'd have stuck the aerial cable through that same hole to be honest. Obviously I wouldn't have run it alongside the T&E for any distance. There, I've admitted it! :)

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
I think the problem lies with aerial man pulling his cables in and friction burning through the T&E.
Send 230v down his co-ax when hes connecting the telly up... blame it on his install method

It’s fairly easy to burn pvc cable if you pull another cable against it Too hard...
I wouldnt be happy with the burned Cable...but unfortunately It’s fairly typical to see This sort of thing

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
It’s fairly easy to burn pvc cable if you pull another cable against it Too hard...
I wouldnt be happy with the burned Cable...but unfortunately It’s fairly typical to see This sort of thing
Anyone who treats coax cable like that would not be fitting an aerial for me. I hate to think what his terminations are like.

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Had to cut it either side of the joist, MF Wagobox it and put a new piece in. Pulled his cable right out the length aswell, can’t have been that hard to blast some more 10mm holes through the joists for his cable

SparkySy

-
Arms
Can you pop round I have a problem, thought my Plumber could sort it out but he couldn't so advised ring an electrician! :eek:
IMG_20200622_1308022.jpg
Mmm that's gone bang more than once then!!

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Can’t have been a real plumber.....a real plumber would’ve got that to work 😂

SparkySy

-
Arms
I was using the term loosely :)
It was a faulty pump apparently, that he tried to fix 3 times before giving up and getting a new one! Bet he had some Brown trousers after that!!

Pulled his cable right out the length aswell, can’t have been that hard to blast some more 10mm holes through the joists for his cable
The woodworm have even made a start for him!

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
There’s future proofing and there’s FUTURE proofing.....CE0166CC-7CEC-46AC-A165-FEE1AABCDDC9.jpeg
Not dodgy I know but I’m sure the spark wasn’t really considering smart switches!

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
You could almost guarantee if you needed that extra core it wouldn't of been there!
I was going to like your post, but you put 'of' instead of 'have', so I didn't :D

Should have used a Biro, pencils are conductive and flammable.

Less dodgy, more just stupidity courtesy of one of our “multi-skilled” technicians. Bear in mind the multi-skilled guy has an electrician to guide them on their shift and they supposedly checked all this together!

Yesterday a cooling fan wasn’t working, they went to it and reported back at shift change when we started that the contactor needed replacing because it wasn’t coming in. We asked if they checked the voltage at the coil “yeah, 230” was the answer.

I suspect not somehow, but at least we know why it isn’t coming in...

36152B2A-3831-4778-9262-3D7840B47620.jpeg

The machine wasn’t needed until this afternoon so we left it for them to wire up the coil this morning, and hopefully learn something in the process.

They wired the coil into a nearby transformer in the machine. We got called back just after shift change for cooling fan not working and “smell of burning”. That’ll be 230 through the 110 coil then.

A8CBFB28-D1C9-4C4D-98D4-8CD81298089C.jpeg

In fairness the almost identical machine next to it was wired the same way, just went into a 230v coil.

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Reminds me of the time I got called out because the new contactor coils weren't lasting long on a roof fan. I couldn't get the on-site maintenance bloke to understand that 240V coils don't work well when fed with 415V. 'But there's a neutral there!' he kept saying. That blue wire was of course L3.... Amazingly all 3? he tried lasted over a work day under those conditions.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Back when I was a rookie, I was given a 230/400v motor to fit on a machine.
It lasted almost 2 weeks before it gave up.
I had wired it in delta because my total lack of understanding led me to believe that star was only for starting a motor.

Boss was not happy but I learned a valuable lesson!

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom