Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That volt stick is far to clean DD, Westy got all excited when he found that live cable, cheap Voltstick by the way.
That is actually an intrinsically safe volt stick for use in hazardous atmosphere. Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20190617_181346 - EletriciansForums.net

Good old YY cable.

10 twin 6tf fluorescents wired in one end out the other in lovely YY.

All charred as it was resting on the ballasts.

IR tested all and found 5 out of the 9 runs were dead short LN to E

The stuff was so hard you could have grown beans up it.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 20190619_123510 - EletriciansForums.net
    20190619_123510.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 246
Went to look at a couple of small jobs recently, customer tells me they had a new consumer unit fitted last year but now cant get in touch with the “ electrician “ that did it. At this point the alarm bells were already ringing in my head.

Once i arrived at the property i asked to see the consumer unit only to find the cover wasn't fitted properly as the board had been pulled out of shape when it had been fixed back to the wall. The attached picture is what i found when i removed the cover.

You cant tell from the picture but none of the cable entry's into the consumer unit have any form of grommet protecting them. Multiple circuits are stuffed into the same MCB, despite there being spare ways availble. The first MCB had 2 x 2.5mm and a 6mm T&E made off into it. This turned out to be a ring circuit and a redundant feed that had only been taped up in an attempt to make it safe. It took me about 5 minutes to find this feed as its clipped exterior to the building so there is absolutely no way whoever replaced this consumer unit carried out any form of testing. Also notice the excessive copper on show where it is terminated into the MCB.

I asked the elderly lady if she could remember what she had paid for the work she seemed to think it was around £150. It doesn't sound a lot of money but to her im sure it would have been. Makes me mad that people will install this standard of work and take peoples money. Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! 46662F22-F2DA-4BAC-9A6B-CD9CD2147348 - EletriciansForums.net

What was the problem that was reported by the customer?

And they said Part P and belonging to one of these schemes would put an end to all this. This installation has not been done by someone competent.

The good thing is the board looks perfectly reusable and not butchered beyond repair.
So I would just strip all the cables out , re do the board and fitting the correct grommets etc.
Thorough test on all circuits and remove any redundant stuff , re label up the board and complete eicr.
Nice clean days work...

What like the consumer unit being reinstalled correctly and circuits tested as I will have a guess that there is no certificate available.
What like the consumer unit being reinstalled correctly and circuits tested as I will have a guess that there is no certificate available.
The good thing is the board looks perfectly reusable and not butchered beyond repair.
So I would just strip all the cables out , re do the board and fitting the correct grommets etc.
Thorough test on all circuits and remove any redundant stuff , re label up the board and complete eicr.
Nice clean days work...
Currently in the process of doing just that. I forgot to mention that there are no labels currently on the board cover, other than one below the main switch. How anybody can make such a poor job of replacing such a consumer unit is beyond me, its not like theres much in it. This was probably all done in less than hour, literally swapped like for like with no concern what any of the circuits might be doing.

Ive also got to check the main gas/water bonds as the clamps aren't visible. The system is a TT ( although it seems PME is a available) with a 6mm to the rod. There is a 16mm green/yellow that you can see in the picture and ive no idea where it goes or what it does. Luckily the customer is very understanding and wants it all put right, its just a shame she has already spent good money on something so poorly done.

She got lucky if she only paid £150 ish for this bodge up...

The board would have been about £50 in screwfix , so really she only got taken for about a £100 which isn’t good but not terrible. I have known customers get scammed for much much more than that.

At least you can reuse the consumers unit and now put it right.

And they said Part P and belonging to one of these schemes would put an end to all this. This installation has not been done by someone competent.

Trouble is the customer needs to know that work needs to be compliant with the regs, and Part P. How many customers know that they should be expecting certificates or could have difficulties if they or their electricians don’t notify?

Not enough public knowledge.

I suspect the guy throwing consumer units at a wall for £150 a pop is getting more work than me.

Trouble is the customer needs to know that work needs to be compliant with the regs, and Part P. How many customers know that they should be expecting certificates or could have difficulties if they or their electricians don’t notify?

Not enough public knowledge.

I suspect the guy throwing consumer units at a wall for £150 a pop is getting more work than me.

£150 board change is ridiculous...

I recently priced a 6 way fuse board change to an all rcbo board and spd) the materials alone 'cost' to me come out at £275+vat and say I can knock it out in 2 hours + 1 hour to do cert and notify. At a push I could do the whole job for £450.00

So if the same customer is 'offered' a board swap at £150 CASH JOB , there is absolutely no way a legit scam reg sparks can compete...the customer has no idea what the difference is other than the price. So 99% of the time will opt for the £150 CASH JOB fella.
To them a consumer unit swap is exactly the same no matter who does it.

Urgggg

Give me one board change for £300 and 2x hours work rather than 2 @ £150 and x hours each any day!

This isn't the issue thou , like you I would rather quality over quantity and not rush about like a mad man

But the £150 cash job fella , will pay no scam fee , no insurance , no expensive testers to buy and keep serviced , no notification fee , no tax , no NI , provide no warranty etc

He or she will just pocket the £150 cash and move on to the next victim.

If you could even knock out 2 of these a weekend that's a nice £300 in the skyrocket for beer money

But that's 2 less board changes for a legit fully scam reg sparks to do

Unless you get the job like the OP who will now be paid to put it right

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock