Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here is one I was asked to have a look at by a mate that has just bought this house . This was by a reputable company that supplied (previously)thumbnail_image0.jpg and fitted a stair lift. This was for their spur . To make matters worse it is a spur from a spur.

Nice work :eek:

I think I should have stayed in the new installation game , I could have made a fortune lashing in carp wiring rather than actually bothering to do a neat job ...

The few million pound houses I've been in are practically indistinguishable 'behind the scenes' on all fronts - breeze block and poorly run services with the minimum effort on fittings or indeed bothering to get them straight. Guess you have to pay another million for that around here.... :rolleyes:
but these house owners think nothing of paying £25k for a kitchen or £15k for a bathroom, yet cringe at paying a few hundred for electrics. that's why they get cheap jobs botched in by cowboys.
[automerge]1600975592[/automerge]
Here is one I was asked to have a look at by a mate that has just bought this house . This was by a reputable company that supplied (previously)View attachment 61035 and fitted a stair lift. This was for their spur . To make matters worse it is a spur from a spur.
came across similar yesterday. approx 40 downlights all connections exposed in attic like this. every cable lashed in with about 5 ft. slack, no clips. and all the cpc's cut off.

but these house owners think nothing of paying £25k for a kitchen or £15k for a bathroom, yet cringe at paying a few hundred for electrics. that's why they get cheap jobs botched in by cowboys.

They've no idea. Literally none.

Builders tell them they'll take care of stuff and the next thing you know there are pictures on this thread.

"Just pop in and have a look, it's a recent board so should be no troubles" - every bloody builder I work for... :rolleyes:

2020-09-25 16.08.38.jpg

There are just rebadged MK old style aren't they? When did they stop making them? I'm guessing that there's nothing 'officially' compatible available now?

Bonus points for the "unknown" circuit that I've only just noticed looking at the pic!

There are just rebadged MK old style aren't they?
No I don't think so, but I believe they are still available. Was working in a commercial unit that had about 7 siemens 3ph boards, was easier and cheaper to replace the worse condition ones with something modern, all the RCBOs there were faulty, either wouldn't trip or wouldn't reset.

It feeds the home cinema

"it probably feeds something, best leave it on..."

Literally only had time to take a pic, and now I see it was EICR'd 3 years ago, so maybe the certificate will solve the mystery...or not!

Looks like the kitchen ring was split at some point, but whether it was actually split or just connected to two breakers when one of r1,r2,rn was out of range we will see....
[automerge]1601075558[/automerge]
No I don't think so, but I believe they are still available. Was working in a commercial unit that had about 7 siemens 3ph boards, was easier and cheaper to replace the worse condition ones with something modern, all the RCBOs there were faulty, either wouldn't trip or wouldn't reset.
Looks like the 3ph are still available, but this particular model says discontinued on my google searches. Sounds like a new board is going to be the way to go anyway...

Last edited:
Not all electrickery related but I’m working in a “builder modernised house” today......called because two sockets not working......they didn’t work because no one ever connected em ?
8576F21F-5BCD-44D2-BB38-82798C60785E.jpeg
Joist hanger to small no probs ?0B2D37B2-9B22-404D-96E7-3CE1F29CF730.jpeg
And a little bit of wetpants work to finish up ?7AACD9A4-1C0F-480C-A26F-1CBEE081D0EB.jpeg

Not all electrickery related but I’m working in a “builder modernised house” today......called because two sockets not working......they didn’t work because no one ever connected em ?
View attachment 61042
Joist hanger to small no probs ?View attachment 61043
And a little bit of wetpants work to finish up ?View attachment 61044
Outstanding work there. Don't think I'd be putting any heavy furniture near the end of those joists.

I think I have mentioned before but a friend of mine bought a new flat a few years ago of one from one of the big house builders.
no of the phone points / Sat points seemed to work.
i popped round to investigate and all the cables were just coiled up in the back of the boxes and who ever 2nd fixed the flats just screwed all the face plates on No wires connected.
very sneaky and no wonder they can knock out the flat wires in a day if you ain’t connecting anything up...

I think I have mentioned before but a friend of mine bought a new flat a few years ago of one from one of the big house builders.
no of the phone points / Sat points seemed to work.
i popped round to investigate and all the cables were just coiled up in the back of the boxes and who ever 2nd fixed the flats just screwed all the face plates on No wires connected.
very sneaky and no wonder they can knock out the flat wires in a day if you ain’t connecting anything up...
Saves all that time-consuming testing too!

I've seen them put into new builds but with blank front faces so the owner has to pay if they want them connected, but putting the correct plates on is just taking the pee...!

Saves all that time-consuming testing too!

I've seen them put into new builds but with blank front faces so the owner has to pay if they want them connected, but putting the correct plates on is just taking the pee...!

what’s ‘testing‘ , I haven’t seen a multi meter on a new build in my 22 years in the trade ...

we used to just flick the main switch and see what turns on

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock