Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

An Obituary printed in the London Times​

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
  • Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
  • Why the early bird gets the worm;
  • Life isn't always fair; and
  • Maybe it was my fault.
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers;
  • I Know My Rights
  • I Want It Now
  • Someone Else Is To Blame
  • I'm A Victim
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
Can't think of the correct terminology, but thats a bit of a myth. Cos things change from generations to generations. Things change, perhaps you won't, or shouldn't. But new generations will.

More DIY crap. The whole house was like this. Thing is the couple had only bought it a few months previously yet the surveyor didn't flag up the electrics as a point of interest at all. If they had then they could have an EICR done and possibly knocked some money off the purchase price. What would you recommend their next course of action be? I think they deserve compensation.

Fuse board was 16 edition clipsal. It had a plastic shelf glued onto the top. What should the surveyor be looking for? Right beside it is a bit of twin and earth dangling about an inch away from an incandescent bulb, all under the stairs.

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210130_131020 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210130_131020.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210130_132648 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210130_132648.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 113
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210130_132839 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210130_132839.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210128_105329 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210128_105329.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210128_103451 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210128_103451.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 113
More DIY crap. The whole house was like this. Thing is the couple had only bought it a few months previously yet the surveyor didn't flag up the electrics as a point of interest at all. If they had then they could have an EICR done and possibly knocked some money off the purchase price. What would you recommend their next course of action be? I think they deserve compensation.

Fuse board was 16 edition clipsal. It had a plastic shelf glued onto the top. What should the surveyor be looking for? Right beside it is a bit of twin and earth dangling about an inch away from an incandescent bulb, all under the stairs.
That’s some rough work even for diy!

Or when they use the un-insulated connectors from the 3plate ceiling rose without tape in a metal fitting in a bathroom. Been like that for 10years apparently and never touched the metal until a lamp went in it and they twisted the fitting slightly changing it and couldn't reset the rcd!View attachment 64416
Just WOW. A little knowledge eh.

To be a little bit fairer to the Surveyor, they would not have done an intrusive survey of the property so most of the things exposed by the electrician would not have been obvious to them, but still a bad survey to not pick up any of the exposed items.

To be a little bit fairer to the Surveyor, they would not have done an intrusive survey of the property so most of the things exposed by the electrician would not have been obvious to them, but still a bad survey to not pick up any of the exposed items.
Yeah. Understood. I'd like to know what these surveyors do though. This pic is also from under the stairs right by the consumer unit. I wonder what their electrical training is?

Attachments

• Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! IMG_20210128_103426 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210128_103426.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 102
What would you recommend their next course of action be? I think they deserve compensation.
Don't think there is much that can be done, a house is sold as seen, they will just have to accept it and have the house rewired.

There were a fair number of poor alterations in my house, including bared live conductors buried in filler in 4 locations, a consumer unit wired in 10mm SWA connected to the back of a socket, outside lighting in garden wall wired in flex buried direct, earth wires were cut out and garden lights class I, fed from 32A MCB.

Yeah. Understood. I'd like to know what these surveyors do though. This pic is also from under the stairs right by the consumer unit. I wonder what their electrical training is?
Qualified Building Surveyors (RICS) are trained in all aspects of building work, however they are also trained in Law and how to word any document produced to ensure they are not liable for anything missed by their survey and not included in any report.

Don't think there is much that can be done, a house is sold as seen, they will just have to accept it and have the house rewired.

There were a fair number of poor alterations in my house, including bared live conductors buried in filler in 4 locations, a consumer unit wired in 10mm SWA connected to the back of a socket, outside lighting in garden wall wired in flex buried direct, earth wires were cut out and garden lights class I, fed from 32A MCB.

Qualified Building Surveyors (RICS) are trained in all aspects of building work, however they are also trained in Law and how to word any document produced to ensure they are not liable for anything missed by their survey and not included in any report.
Think perhaps it was just a mortgage valuation survey. Seems these and a bona fide property survey are different things.

Spy nage , I would recommend a full rewire of the entire home

unfortunately it is buyer beware when you purchase a property and even if the surveyor said the electrics looked dodgy the previous homeowner is under no obligation to knock money off
No I meant had the buyers known the electrics needed attention then they could of negotiated a reduction or even pulled out! I agree with your assessment though. A full rewire was required. I've done most of it now though anyway!

Spy nage , I would recommend a full rewire of the entire home

unfortunately it is buyer beware when you purchase a property and even if the surveyor said the electrics looked dodgy the previous homeowner is under no obligation to knock money off
No obligation to knock off money, no obligation to buy.

Most Mortgage companies employ a Local Surveyor/Company (Estate Agent) to carry out their valuation surveys, usually not qualified and are only there to assess if the mortgage applied for is below the value of the property and their investment would therefor be covered, internal fitting and fixtures would not even be considered, just is that house value for money in that area.

No obligation to knock off money, no obligation to buy.
That’s my point , but once you move in you are tied to the house warts and all no matter what it looked like at first sight

the seller has no obligation to knock money off for crap work and the buyer has no obligation to buy

Most Mortgage companies employ a Local Surveyor/Company (Estate Agent) to carry out their valuation surveys, usually not qualified and are only there to assess if the mortgage applied for is below the value of the property and their investment would therefor be covered, internal fitting and fixtures would not even be considered, just is that house value for money in that area.
A friend of mine does bank valuations and they literally only care if the house has 4 external walls with a roof

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock