Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've seen the old twist and tape done many a time, even on socket circuits which have been like it for years without a sign of arcing pitting etc
Oh yes I have seen 100s of twist and tape jobs which as you say have been in a wall or under the floor boards for decades and in full use without issue

I was questioning the use of brown wall plugs which I thought the OP might have stuck over the cables as a bit of a 'joke'

If they are polystyrene balls, the whole cable installation is scrap.
if they are polypropylene then it is just the thermal effects you have to consider.

If they are polystyrene balls, the whole cable installation is scrap.
if they are polypropylene then it is just the thermal effects you have to consider.
I am told it’s polypropylene. It was only done in Dec so I’d hope it was to modern standards. But I’m not sure how I could prove one way or the other.

Client is going to check with the company that did it. I hope they have good insurance that will cover removal and a possible rewire if it’s the former. 😂

An important reminder on safe isolation - no matter how simple the job. Replacing emergency light fittings:

Isolated CCT at DB. LNE terminals all checked between and confirmed safe to work on.

Note the grey T&E with taped up ends also entering the enclosure.

It would have been easy to assume this was dead, or at least connected to the circuit just isolated that feeds the luminarie (in singles)

Nope.

Fed from an entirely different circuit, still live with tape over the ends. I assume a previous worker found it, couldn't trace it and left it with tape over. Very poor show.

The second photo shows my repair once I'd traced the circuit and made good - just to explain in pictures what I'm probably not doing very well with words.

Volt stick came in handy here. Obviously testing the luminaire with my contact Fluke probes - but it's hard to probe something that's been cut flush with tape wrapped around it....

This is the sort of stupid stuff that kills people.

Attachments

• 20220110_201027.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220110_210219.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 68
To add more info to the post I made yesterday.

I have a 100A cutout (confirmed as 100A by DNO as they put in an isolator for me in Dec) which feeds in to the property on 16mm tails (25mm to meter and 25mm to isolator then 16mm in)

This leads to a upfront 80A 30mA RCD. Which feeds the main board.

Then there is a feed from the RCD to a Henley block which feeds the board below and that has a 80A 100mA RCD switch and the sockets, cooker and 1 of the showers is on this board.

Then there is a second set of tails jammed into the top of the 100mA RCD feeding the third board on the bottom left which has a 40A 30mA RCD switch.

I’ve put the first pic on again to make it easy to see what I’m describing.

4DD3D223-1EB5-4B69-8B8E-03E50572CD18.jpeg

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock