Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This is an interesting discussion.
There's a whole estate near me with 60 amp PME cutout in cabinet outside, 'tails' are 10mm T+E through cavity to CU high up on other side of wall in garage. Main earth is not adequate for PME requirements and my first job at any of these houses is always running an extra independent earth.
But replacing the tails has proved to be very hard due to the amount of rubbish in the wall. It's almost as if all the trades used that cavity as skip!
Apart from the cost, and if I could get them through, is two lengths of Kopex, one per tail a possible solution?
I've never seen it done which makes me suspect there's a flaw....!

I would have expected the meter supplier to request that you provide the upgraded tails to the meter cabinet before they uprated the cutout. That's what I've always done - new tails to the meter cabinet, connected with Henleys to the old tails in the cabinet (along with a note not to walk off with my Henleys.)
It was Octopus that did it. Can’t comment as to why as I was expecting to need to do it myself.

This is an interesting discussion.
There's a whole estate near me with 60 amp PME cutout in cabinet outside, 'tails' are 10mm T+E through cavity to CU high up on other side of wall in garage. Main earth is not adequate for PME requirements and my first job at any of these houses is always running an extra independent earth.
But replacing the tails has proved to be very hard due to the amount of rubbish in the wall. It's almost as if all the trades used that cavity as skip!
Apart from the cost, and if I could get them through, is two lengths of Kopex, one per tail a possible solution?
I've never seen it done which makes me suspect there's a flaw....!
I’d never have gotten Kopex up the wall today. I had to pull one tail in at a time and use liberal amounts of cable lube.

I don't disagree, but these are common types of homes. I assume developers simply pay for use of plans drawn up by someone who knows little about acceptable cable routes. To be fair, the house styles I have in mind are well designed to make the most of a limited amount of space.

Still, there's nothing to stop developers installing a duct with draw string - they probably haven't thought to do so or simply don't care.
The latter. All down to cost/time

Purpose of a cavity iis t prevent water penetration from outside to inside. Whether or not complete fill cavity insulation compromises this is the subject of debate. I have a neighbour who is a fairly highly qualified building surveyor, and he makes his views well known to anyone who asks. He's not a fan.

Last edited:
I know the point of cavity wall construction it was a moot comment, as I said filling the cavity with an open cell insulation defeats the point entirely, as does anything that bridges the gap between the two skins, intentionally or not.

That's timely ... this went up yesterday
Insulation was supposed to save us money... but it ruined our homes

At our last house, there was a damp issue. The cause came up when the buyer has someone in to look at it - an air brick had been fitted upside down when it was built - back in the 60s I think. But that wouldn't have been a problem until CWI was installed - and after that it was slowly soaking the wall from within.

Repeated on another thread, so you might want to ask a mod to delete one of them.

I’ll repeat what I said on it.

Would that be on a farm by any chance?
nah. there.s no cowshyte on them jump start cables.

Right mess by anybody's standards, but I can't see anything that I'd describe as "a threat to life".
Replacing the covers on the trunking, and a few cable ties and clips and it'd look a lot better.
The tails with the join is the worst bit, although I thought it was floating Henleys with a bit of tape around them.

Tripping / entangling in the cables on the floor is quite an immediate threat to anyone going in to read the meters or do any work!

The photo is not good enough to check things though, might be floating Henley blocks, but looked like tape to me. Also not much sign of grommets on trunking, and to the right just below vertical conduit there are some wires that might be taped or bare, or maybe just a trick with the brown live crossing the blue and G/Y.

Also a suspicious lack of G/Y earths around the wall of meters, etc, but maybe part of trunking?

Trying to open that news story, the web site wanted me to accept its cookies, which I now days refuse, do I miss out, I don't think so, since refusing to accept cookies on any web site my spam and nonsense e-mails have reduced considerably.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock