Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Owner - "That's just an old connection, it's not live any more"

Me - "Um, I beg to differ"

IMG_0088.JPGIMG_0092.JPG

Then we had this little gem of a snake mating ball,

Circuit 1 is feeding two separate 2.5/1.5 T&E radials into a 32A MCB
Circuit 2 is feeding a RFC on a 40A breaker wired in 2.5/1.5 T&E. I must have missed that lesson when doing RFC's. I seem to be missing the page in BS7671 & OSG about it too....

I have a strange wanting for a greasy fry up for tea tonight as well. Not sure why......

IMG_0099.JPG

Owner - "That's just an old connection, it's not live any more"

Me - "Um, I beg to differ"

View attachment 94639View attachment 94640

Then we had this little gem of a snake mating ball,

Circuit 1 is feeding two separate 2.5/1.5 T&E radials into a 32A MCB
Circuit 2 is feeding a RFC on a 40A breaker wired in 2.5/1.5 T&E. I must have missed that lesson when doing RFC's. I seem to be missing the page in BS7671 & OSG about it too....

I have a strange wanting for a greasy fry up for tea tonight as well. Not sure why......

View attachment 94641

I'd fail the EICR just based on the carpet alone!

They did well to fit that Hager breaker those boards are unique to SB6000 devices I can see it is linked direct to the rcd at it doesn't fit the busbar.
Everything is linked to the RCD. This is what happens when you allow your mate from the pub to fit a new CU for you. But he knew what he was doing as he’d wired some plugs before for them. 😂

I posted this pic in a different thread. Long story short was called out to a loss of power and found this which had been overloaded and decided to start melting, resulting in the damage you see to the board here as well as a melted RCD and MCB

IMG_3050.jpeg

So at the time I made a temporary fix to restore some power for them but made it clear the board needed changing. Much discussion then ensued as I point blank refused to change it without doing a full EICR to establish the condition of the electrical installation and ascertain why that had suffered that damage. When I made the temp fix the tests I did said the cabling etc was intact so something else was amiss. I had my suspicions that the circuit was just pulling way too much and the 40A MCB had finally been cooked, in turn causing an issue for the 63A RCD.

Any went back today to do the EICR as I'll be changing the board in a few days. I found out the reason why this had happened fairly quickly.

The main, melted DB, fed the following:

3 x 6A Light circuits
1 x 3A Smoke detector circuit (shows the age as it was a 3A 60898 which I haven't seen before)
2 x 32A ring circuits
1 x 40A cooker circuit
1 x 32A shower circuit
1 x 16A immersion heater circuit
1 x 40A circuit to feed a sub main.

Sub main 1 fed by 16mm T&E (which is hanging off the 40A circuit)

1 x 6A light circuit
1 x 40A shower circuit
2 x 32A socket circuits
1 x 16A Immersion heater circuit
1 x 32A sub main in a garage

Sub main 2 fed by 16mm 2 core XPLE & a 10mm CPC (which is still hanging off the 40A circuit in main DB)

1 x 6A light circuit
1 x 32A socket circuit
1 x C16A circuit for a welder
1 x C16A circuit for a compressor
1 x C16A circuit for a table saw

This used to be two properties which has been knocked into one. Sub Main 1 was the original main supply for the second house and still has the cutout next to it. But it has been disabled and meter removed.

I also have never seen a neutral fly lead like this from the RCBO!

IMG_0024.jpeg

So another discussion has now ensued as I've walked off the job for now.

I told the client they had three options:

1. Get the DNO/Meter company to reinstate that cutout and have two supplies/bills

2. Get the DNO to upgrade to a 3 phase supply

3. I can remove the circuit for the sub mains out of the main CU, put in a henley block to split the tails. Run a set to the new main DB and then run a set to 63A fused isolator. From the isolator I would then run the supply to the sub mains but they were under no illusion this was a sub optimal solution and would still require careful management of electric use as they could still blow the main cutout but hopefully the isolator would trip first.

I also found this, which they were still using

IMG_0011.jpeg

So I've updated the quote to include option 3 as that's the only way I'm changing the board for them now.

There's a fair few other issues too. But most I can resolve in one go.

What beggars belief is that someone thought it was a good idea to run those two sub mains from a 40A MCB in the first place! 🤦‍♂️

1 x 3A Smoke detector circuit (shows the age as it was a 3A 60898 which I haven't seen before)
It is uncommon to see anything below 6A in domesitc systems, but a few suppliers do ones below 6A but usually C/D curve.
What beggars belief is that someone thought it was a good idea to run those two sub mains from a 40A MCB in the first place! 🤦‍♂️
It probably did not start that way! Sadly it was clearly not a designed process of what and how things would be used :(

Having two sub-mains back to the main DB at least would allow better visibility of total loads if nothing else can be done.

Not technically our trade, but telecoms. This was a contractor on behalf of Openreach working on my street this morning.
They had this opened up behind my driveway, with barriers around and warning signs.

In the last half hour, they’ve gone, and left this open.
I just phone Openreach, and they say it will be sorted within 4 hours

F0390C50-85C7-49E9-8C1D-3C95307F73F3.jpeg

4 hours!!!

Not technically our trade, but telecoms. This was a contractor on behalf of Openreach working on my street this morning.
They had this opened up behind my driveway, with barriers around and warning signs.

In the last half hour, they’ve gone, and left this open.
I just phone Openreach, and they say it will be sorted within 4 hours

View attachment 94710

4 hours!!!
thats bad to leave the foot way box open, must be rushing around like a lunatic, pair of side cutters handle in the slot drag it back down. lol

Nobody's perfect. Easy to forget the obvious sometimes. Or think someone else was doing it.

FGS man! Just put it back while muttering about the youth of today and how standards have slipped.

Ya moaning old bugger. :D
Hey... not my job. I might put my back out doing that.

I might put my own barrier around it... but why should I? If someone falls in... its on Openreach

Was thinking of "accidently" falling in myself, just for the compo 😁

Hey... not my job. I might put my back out doing that.

I might put my own barrier around it... but why should I? If someone falls in... its on Openreach

Was thinking of "accidently" falling in myself, just for the compo 😁

I'm thinking this isn't very neighbourly.

If some kid or elderly person breaks their leg (or worse) Openreach might pay compensation, but you'll kick yourself for letting this remain open for hours.

If you don't want to move the cover, maybe park your van over it?

I'm thinking this isn't very neighbourly.

If some kid or elderly person breaks their leg (or worse) Openreach might pay compensation, but you'll kick yourself for letting this remain open for hours.

If you don't want to move the cover, maybe park your van over it?

Or fill it with concrete. Be very safe then 😀

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock