Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

James

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

don't tell me, replace cooker isolation switch.
cant damage tiles or cupboard because they have just been installed?!!!

Aico 3000
freddo

freddo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Doing a job at a property today and been warned this might be next - not sure I want to do a good job and encourage them!
Good grief you would have to be either very lazy or very stupid to install the kitchen unit over the switch like that. Not to mention it looks awful.

telectrix

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Nothing wrong with a good steak pie made with good ingredients pirate, balanced diet is the answer....so I balance pies with some veg and Guinness 😁
Post automatically merged:

C’mon that is creative engineering there! 😂
veg. my arse. a balanced diet is a pie in each hand with beer close by.

D

Dartlec

Arms
Good grief you would have to be either very lazy or very stupid to install the kitchen unit over the switch like that. Not to mention it looks awful.
don't tell me, replace cooker isolation switch.
cant damage tiles or cupboard because they have just been installed?!!!
Previous owner DIY'd it apparently, so hopefully they are planning to retile. All a bit odd - all RCD sockets in the kitchen, though a dual RCD CU was installed in 2015.

Oven that's blocking that switch doesn't seem to be run from it (might be from a socket outlet if that switch has one behind the cupboard - in which case a 4.1kW oven is running off a 13A plug)

And an Elecsa EIC for the new board that claims the 6mm Cooker circuit has ring continuity while the 2.5mm "Ring Circuit" doesn't :rolleyes:

Not to mention that it claims 10mm main earth when the feed is 16mm T&E, and the 2 10mm g/y cables leaving the CU don't go back to the MET.

Going to be a fun can of worms to open.

Still, on the plus side I installed a new Fusebox CU at the source today (adding a couple of circuits in a porch) so they have SPD for the installation and proper bonding at least.

ruston

ruston

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
The picture of the tiles takes me back to my days on the Opencast Mine . You would think someone had just fired a shot. (blasted)2020-09-14 14.55.42.jpg

pirate

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
Classic case of "job and finish" fitting a cupboard like that. No concern for the future use, no pride in workmanship, just shove it in and take the money. Makes me very angry...and seen far too often. Bet the fitter said proudly to the homeowner "Look, there you go, I've cut that just perfect so you can still use the switch".
However, it could be fun if you were ever called to rewire Kev's house...T&E clipped direct to the tiling in the kitchen, use up all your round edged socket plates on his square edged back boxes, and of course use plasterboard screws for everything, and no wall-plugs...
Except, Electricians have standards to adhere to...

D

Dartlec

Arms
Landlords mains board installed in 2018.
The first obvious mistake was installing blurry breakers ;)

Is that all the lighting on one RCD, and the sockets etc on another? Sounds like good selectivity.

I'll admit I'm not the neatest with boards, but I'd like to think I'd manage better than that. What's going on with those tails?

Column light which had been replaced a month ago and was flickering.
At least he used blue tape to match the arctic rating of the feed cable! Did the manufacturer actually supply a suitable method of terminating the flex? Might avoid some of the lash ups if they did.

Can't remember the last time I used those connectors though - wago/ideal are so much easier. One of those little Wiska mini gel filled boxes seems perfectly suited for occasions like this.

C

ChrisElectrical88

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
I believe the blurry ness of the picture is due to the shear amount of water that has got on everything today haha. I’m not sure in the manufacturer supplied anything, however the fitting was able to be opened and a new flex easily installed, although if that voided the MF warranty will be a mystery. One of those torpedo 20A IP68 thru connectors would have been my choice of weapon though if faced with this conundrum. Ended up swapping out 4 column heads in the end for new.

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom