Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is the yellow tape hiding rat/mice damage?
Only if the mice can eat through lead.

I took the tape off and exposed the second photograph.
Customer did say there was mice, so I might find chewed pvc somewhere.
Not sure if this damaged lead is the actual cause of the fuse blowing… maybe it’s just held for so long, and she’s knocked it one too many times with the hoover.

Ok, I suggested I might repair the lead sheathed cable…. But I can’t find any product that could successfully do it…. Or lead sheath to pvc t&e joint

Purely as a stop-gap temporary repair until I can rewire this particular length.

Ok, I suggested I might repair the lead sheathed cable…. But I can’t find any product that could successfully do it…. Or lead sheath to pvc t&e joint

Purely as a stop-gap temporary repair until I can rewire this particular length.
You might be able to connect to the lead sheath CPC using a constant force spring and some tinned copper braid wrapped around it first.

I guess there once was a gland for that sort of cable to connect to the outer but can't say I have sever seen on the the flesh. I have a vague idea that some 20mm conduit fittings had such a clamp setup.

This is the sort of thing:

Lewden PD435 20mm Male Bonding Nipple for flat cable such as Twin & Earth & 3 core and earth
Sometimes known as a lead adaptor from the times when cable had a lead sheathing on it instead of PVC

Also similar from CEF:

On a more serious note, I do wonder why that circuit is still in lead sheathed cable when the rest have been rewired in PVC. Makes me suspicious that its route is quite difficult to replace so last time they gave up on it.

Never use lead sheathed cable, but I have a vague idea there is some in my attic from several rewires past. Might try and recover it for an experiment!

For the clamps I would be tempted to put some spring washers, or spring/plain/spring in so the lead is kept with a more constant clamping force even as it slowly deforms.

Indeed :(

Also odd they are all C-curve breakers.
Yeah and it’s a house too. Apparently the board was fitted a few years ago (they were vague on the timeline) by a qualified electrician. Another ‘electrician’ then came and fitted the EV charge point which is what is running off the Fusebox RCBO.

Something tells me the individual concerned isn’t competent. No certificates for the board or EVCP 🤷🏼‍♂️

And a 16A lighting circuit, which isn't even covering the whole house.

Yep I queried that too. But, in fairness to the client, they have no idea and without being able to speak the ‘electrician’ who installed it I’ve no idea why they’ve done that.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock