Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

pirate

-
Esteemed
Arms
I love it when you can see multiple installation methods in one example.
In case the pic isn't clear, we have SWA in corrugated conduit, exposed, from the ground up to about 2m, then it's cemented in for a bit, then it emerges and is sort-of cleated for the rest of the run.
IMG_20201009_131926666.jpg

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
In case the pic isn't clear, we have SWA in corrugated conduit, exposed, from the ground up to about 2m, then it's cemented in for a bit, then it emerges and is sort-of cleated for the rest of the run.
View attachment 61305
Someone came back to fix the cabling and realised he'd forgotten his tall ladder?

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Not as daft as it looks at first.
Above 2m someone's decided it can be surface mounted. Below that they wanted it buried. So they've used conduit (good), and cemented that into a channel. It looks a lot like the bottom of the render has fallen off the wall - so that could have taken the cement covering over the conduit with it when it fell off.

Marvo

-
Staff member
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
View attachment 61305
Whoever did it was so proud that they signed their name next to it.

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
It would be interesting to see the risk assessment done before they mandated putting millions of electrical installations outside and exposed to the weather. Of course they'll have done one of those ... won't they ?

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Well it didn't used to be a legal requirement in this country - is it actually a legal requirement ? If it is, then there must have been an assessment done. Given the normal opinion that electricity and water should never mix - it seems odd to insist on putting stuff outside, given how flimsy the cabinets are.
If I'm ever forced to do that, I;d be looking for a galvanised steel box, with a mesh cover on the door so it can be rendered and painted to match the house. What do you mean, it'll block radio signals ? Why would I want my meter talking to the world every half hour !

I'm still trying to think what to do with the fugly box a previous owner stuck on the front of this house for the gas meter. Of course, not being built in, it's even more obtrusive than the built on ones.

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.