Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Tricky one , substandard batteries have been built in to Phones /Tablets,
and caused issues -- (No ohh its counterfeit get out clause there) I'm 50/50 with this ...

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
and you want a EICR on this??????? After I've ripped it all out and fitted a much bigger DB and some trunking. then I may do it.

Attachments

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
shame really. shop has 2 merlin 3p boards, all neat and proper colours (red/yellow/blue/black. all tests fine, then some cretin has added that abortion.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
shame really. shop has 2 merlin 3p boards, all neat and proper colours (red/yellow/blue/black. all tests fine, then some cretin has added that abortion.
that would be the builder who put up the partition walls and false ceiling expect.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
best part is. 1 MCB feeds the tills. shop trades 7 am to 10pm. no chance of doing anything with it unless..

1. they shut shop for a day..... no chance.
2. they pay me £50/hour for night shift. .... negotiating.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I have a 1Kw silent suitcase type genny that I use in that sort of circumstance.
tills on extension lead, start at 9am home for tea time.
everyone's a winner

Once its off its off. Do loads of retail tests and one till circuit is no hardship. Probably two circuits including the submain.

FatAlan

-
Trainee
No CPC to metallic fluorescent light tube fitting. There was an attempt to bond it to some pipe work but a plumber appears to have updated the pipe work.
48ABAD67-F2C1-4AC6-A98B-67A6C5AEE0E1.jpeg

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
MK Safety Plugs are super plugs for high current appliances. I have several here, I quite like the charcoal ones. Have a few not so common versions like the one pictured too.
1565905693325.png

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
This is still one of my favourites from a while back......and still can't fathom out how he managed to screw the rose cover on.....but it was

latest photos 071.jpg

JLeague

-
DIY
Just a thought you think it would be useful to post a contrastin thread where you have seen admirable work done?

I am sure everyone has come across work you have thought now this person knew what they were doing, perhaps should shocase that?

ferg

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
Just a thought you think it would be useful to post a contrastin thread where you have seen admirable work done?

I am sure everyone has come across work you have thought now this person knew what they were doing, perhaps should shocase that?
There is one somewhere :)

I think Westward started it and there are some good examples of how things should be done in there. :)

I started this a while ago but has died off a bit.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I started this a while ago but has died off a bit.
should have more of these posted. do it right, show it off.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed

There is one somewhere.....not as much fun as this one though.....:tearsofjoy:

NDG Elecs

-
Arms
Esteemed
Temp builders supply whilst extension is being built. At first the mess of sockets were in a wheelie bin and the CU was covered over with a bit of tarp! If you looked up you could see the sky clearly above your head! This is a commercial premises and that board is a sub board fed from an MCB on another dual RCD board, so when it tripped it took half the building out...

IMG_20190808_173821.jpgIMG_20190808_173815.jpg

NDG Elecs

-
Arms
Esteemed
They were all in the yellow bin at the top of the first photo. It had tripped at least three times, either due to condensation or the good inch worth of moist dust at the bottom of the CU. What is silly about it all is that it took a mere 30 mins to strip out the redundant sockets. Bearing in mind this is a dentist's and every time it tripped they lost one chair and the compressor went off too. That's probably a fair bit of lost revenue for a profession that pays well.
It's still not ideal by a long stretch but the roof is going up this week at least. I told them it should not be energised as is and left it up to them. At least the RCDs work ok though !

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
fan.jpg
A stupid attempt at installing an inline fan.
Powerline.jpg
Powerline adaptors, the left one is connected to a broadband router just out of shot, the right one is connected to a card reader sat next to the router, the only internet connected equipment at the premises...
socket.jpg
One of several sockets wired in twin red 1.5mm cable, all had reverse polarity.
Site.jpg
:neutral:

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Oh my god, they couldn’t even get it straight an level
My 6 year old apprentice could do a better job.

P.s. keep it quiet, he is not on the books and I don’t pay him minimum wage.
:D:D:D(Grandson):D:D:D

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I like the way the wall is cut away to leave access to the isolator valve, right next to the shower unit.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
That t&e across and down the wall looks shocking as well. At least use a bit of mini trunking.

JOURNEYMAN

-
Arms
Also noted while I was there that the extract fan has no ducting to the exterior at all and instead vents through a 4 inch wall straight into the staff kitchenette via a shutter! There's a list of other electrical and building work horrors that the builder has done on behalf of the new tenants. It beggars belief what some people will accept and pay for.

Another little one from me (but worth a mention). Old lamp column. BS1361 fuse clearly failed / lost an end cap at some point. Fuse wire wrapped around the old one.(NB I did replace with the correct fuse)

IMG_20190819_145851.jpg

Matthewd29

-
Arms
Esteemed
Don't know what's worse, the missing cover on the esco, the link between neutral and earth after the meter or the fact that someone has managed to install a new board whilst this still exists and didn't even bother with a glam for the tails.

Attachments

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
I have probably got in stock a replacement fuse carrier for that.
send me the dimensions and I will check.

will cost you a beer to cover the postage.

In a HMO somebody has been very creative with bypassing the meter, so they unscrewed the neutral in the incomer covered it in tape then shoved it back in, used the earth as the neutral as its a pme system, completely butchering the cu in the process.

Attachments

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Oh I see now, operating the MCB enables/disables the meter. I didn't realise the busbar wasn't into the breaker with the earth wire. Hope they have been reported...

Picture number 6 is after I changed it back, its hard to explain but they removed the neutral from the meter by taping the end up and putting back in the main fuse earth/neutral block and used to earth from where the pme neutral/earth block is to bring a neutral into the fuseboard, only reason i can think of somebody doing this is to jump the meter ?

Attachments

Matthewd29

-
Arms
Esteemed
Picture number 6 is after I changed it back, its hard to explain but they removed the neutral from the meter by taping the end up and putting back in the main fuse earth/neutral block and used to earth from where the pme neutral/earth block is to bring a neutral into the fuseboard, only reason i can think of somebody doing this is to jump the meter ?
Someone put a lot of thought into this but obviously not into the safety aspects of it!

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
This will raise some eyebrows! Found at a village hall that had been recently inspected by a 3rd party. I was there to replace some lights and circuit protection. Nearly fell off me steps when I took the lid off this!!:eek:
And no it wasn't me who blew the fronds off, it was the previous spark who didn't need the power off to swap out some mcbs! Oops IMG_20190828_1218107.jpgIMG_20190828_1220186.jpg

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
Yeah they are thin the forks! But it is wylex!!
Ahh my trusty old non bs131 steps have rubber feet and I had switched it off prior to removing the cover, and yes there is no need on this earth to have a db that messy!! I couldn't leave anything looking like that! I did offer to rip it out and do it properly but they haven't got the funding to do it unfortunately:(

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
@DT1991 Yes mate totally gone! I did explain to them that it would not contain a fire as there is a massive gap straight up into the loft space above! Not even grommet strip round the edges that are left! The worst thing is they had a fire in the building not so long ago, fps didn't work and it was only down to 1 individual that the whole place didn't go up!

mattg4321

-
Arms
Esteemed
file-3.jpeg

Apparently this large shed/annexe/summer house type thing in the garden was wired by a friend of customers. Apparently he is/was homeless. Maybe his house burnt down?:tearsofjoy:

At least he ran armoured cable from the house, but thats where the good parts of this install ended. Unglanded, 2.5 3 core run direct from a socket on a ring final. Shower is 8.5kw and there was also a mobile air con unit plugged into a socket in the bedroom. MCB had been swapped to 40A.

The cables making up the RFC looked pretty good to be fair, as did the armoured. Not taken apart anything in the garden annexe thing yet. The lever type wagos used to connect the swa to t&e from the back of the socket were in pretty bad shape though! Lightly toasted!

Seriously though, every time I work inside M25 I'm faced with this shite. Customers on above job are lovely people, happy to pay our rates and want things done properly, but how do they allow and pay for this type of shite. It seems to be rife in London.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Yes, the amount of wasted electricity leaking out really winds me up, such a waste...
used to be able to stop that with the child socket protectors.
Post automatically merged:

daren't comment on the state of that shower. i'll get reported for dirtybuggerism.

Spent most of the day reconnecting swa cables at lighting bollards as none of the armour has been earthed. Pretty straight forward cables plenty of length, the outer casings come off the bollards and the sun is out. Three to go then this, needless to say the circuit now has three less lights on it.20190904_134837.jpg

T

Toneyz

I suppose the SWA is not in ducts so that you can pull any slack from the previous bollards?

Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Electrical Forum 25
J Electrical Forum 7
G Electrical Forum 16
JK-Electrical Electrical Forum 61
AlmondSauce Electrical Forum 15
Top Bottom