Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Some quality protection against some dangerous voltages in a Perth car park:
View attachment 98072

And going for a walk with a friend up a local hill, some rough as badger's work on adding more LV cables to a feed to one of the antenna mast's equipment:View attachment 98071

IP 1.5 - level of protection provided by Aldi bin liner

How would you have run them in? Bit of trunking between or something?
Assuming you were replying to my pic, I did it like this. Not great but it's all being taken out in a month or so. You don't need a ladder to read the meter now either. The shroud on the right is much bigger as it is for a 25mm gland. Where the one that came with the 20mm gland that was fitted I don't know, it was a new gland pack, I know this because the wrapper and all the cable strippings were left on the floor. The whole install from start to finish was isht. At least now there is earth continuity, correct polarity, the terminals are tight with the conductor fully inserted and no exposed conductor or single insulation.
aft.jpg

Trying to quiz a caretaker for any clues why a lighting circuit in a church is 0.5 MOhms IR.
"Any outside lights that might be full of water, or anything dodgy anywhere come to mind?"
Scratches head. "Well, there is a slightly iffy light in the slug cupboard"
"The what?!"
"There's a cupboard under the front porch, very damp, we call it the slug cupboard because they love it. The light works but it's seen better days"
He leads the way and unlocks a door that I've never been able to open.
1653761627327.png
1653761693880.png

Snip Snip. 400 Mohms. That will do!

Trying to quiz a caretaker for any clues why a lighting circuit in a church is 0.5 MOhms IR.
"Any outside lights that might be full of water, or anything dodgy anywhere come to mind?"
Scratches head. "Well, there is a slightly iffy light in the slug cupboard"
"The what?!"
"There's a cupboard under the front porch, very damp, we call it the slug cupboard because they love it. The light works but it's seen better days"
He leads the way and unlocks a door that I've never been able to open.
View attachment 98076
View attachment 98077

Snip Snip. 400 Mohms. That will do!

Mmm, that could be it then eh!

Nothing to see here. Just some cables with exposed conductors that are live. 😱

57469AD2-2A29-422D-AABA-F2F51E7C936F.jpeg
B308FCB0-211E-42C9-849E-1EF502347AFB.jpeg

And then got called to this lot. No power, breaker in the consumer unit on but nothing going. It’s supplying a workshop.

4F4CD807-58E4-4742-A959-8D21AC25A488.jpeg

And it’s fed by 13a switched fused spur from the sockets. No wonder it blew. If it was just a couple of sockets and lights it would likely be ok. But when it’s a woodworking workshop then not sure why they decided to install it that way. 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️

Had a call out. Old couple, just moved into a property last week. Apparently place had also had a EICR done. But I’m thinking it must be a drive by one! Given they didn’t find this issue.

Every time they turned a particular light on, which was a metal cased fitting, the electrics would trip. So told them to leave the switch off and I’d come have a look.

I go to have a look and this is what I found when I took the light down. Got ‘DIY Dave’ written all over it as I don’t believe any electrician would do that. Nothing insulated, no brown sleeving on the switched neutral and CPC just twisted together and not connected to the metal cased fitting. 🤦🏼‍♂️

E5A87CEF-C60B-4CC6-BFE6-4BDCDEE79C10.jpeg

So sorted it all out and put it all into a Wago box and fitted a new light for them.

DE05C8FD-B3B5-4031-9AB8-439D416E32E7.jpeg

Was in a bit of a daft place too right next to a door. But they had a new light fitting that they wanted up and it just clears the top of the door.

That is the remains of a batten holder.
Yep, just found it amusing they hadn’t at least bothered to tape it up, which is why I don’t believe an electrician did it.
I would have a quick visual of some other things finding that. Anything that may have been changed over the years or added to original.

Outside lights, metal switches, kitchens… you’re bound to find something else.
They want me to come back and do a full EICR as there are a few other things I noted. Eg outdoor lights fed from a consumer unit that is exposed and has no IP rating and had a 20mm knockout in the side that is just open. Said consumer unit is also fed with T&E, a couple of other lights I checked with metal fittings have the same with the earth that it’s just bodged and not connected to the fitting.

Fortunately they didn’t pay for the previous EICR. So are happy to pay me to do it and will take the issue up with the estate agent once I’ve done it and sent the report.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock