Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The neatest and quickest way is to notch the joist from below, then use a magnetic mouse to get to the next joist.

The other option is to cut a slot wide and long enough to use an extension bit so as to get the following joist as well I've done it a few times but half the time you end up cutting more holes to put the camera in to make sure of no pipes etc

The neatest and quickest way is to notch the joist from below, then use a magnetic mouse to get to the next joist.

The other option is to cut a slot wide and long enough to use an extension bit so as to get the following joist as well I've done it a few times but half the time you end up cutting more holes to put the camera in to make sure of no pipes etc
Yeah that's how I did it.

Or 4" circular holes, then use angle drill to drill holes through joists. Reinstate plasterboard circles, then ceiling gets re-skimmed. Easier than trying to remove chipboard, under some recently laid flooring above.
This is what I usually do too, where lifting boards in the room above isn't possible/feasible. I find the joists with a magnet, measure 120mm to the side and cut the hole centred there. I cut them all so I can see any cables/pipes, then drill the joists using a dewalt 90deg attachment for the drill.

I'm going to buy a 5 or 6" holesaw for it, as while 4" works, it is just a little on the tight side as you need to get your hand in to apply pressure as you drill the joist.

If you replace the correct p-board circle to it's respective hole, in the correct orientation (mark before cutting), they go back in perfectly. Easifill and then sand, no need for reskimming!

Alternative, though not very nice, method is you cut a chase in the plasterboard across each joist. You then fish across between the joists, drop under one using the slot, then fish across the next gap, and so on. Then you're left with a row of smallish holes to fill in.
that's how i do it. clip cable to underside of joists.then fill.

Looking at a property for a client today that will become an HMO. It was a post office, then converted to a house in the 2000s.

Mix of 70s, 80s and 00s in there but was already going to suggest a rewire .

Setup.jpg

Then I find this - which is of course the latest 'work' - post 2005 since new colours.

Fuse.jpg

Yes that is what it looks like - incomer from the meter - outgoing direct to the isolation switch for the electric shower....🤬

Still they carefully selected the big "fuse" with 45A on, so I'm sure it seemed fine!

Fortunately property is empty now and it will all be ripped out anyway.

Or 4" circular holes, then use angle drill to drill holes through joists. Reinstate plasterboard circles, then ceiling gets re-skimmed. Easier than trying to remove chipboard, under some recently laid flooring above.
It's difficult to get a nice cut using a hole saw without using the pilot bit, unless you pre-cut a piece of ply to get a decent start the multi tool back box cutter is far easier imo.

Then I find this - which is of course the latest 'work' - post 2005 since new colours.

View attachment 98484

Yes that is what it looks like - incomer from the meter - outgoing direct to the isolation switch for the electric shower....🤬

Still they carefully selected the big "fuse" with 45A on, so I'm sure it seemed fine!

Fortunately property is empty now and it will all be ripped out anyway.
To be fair, what it lacks as a circuit protection device, it makes up for as an isolator. Much better than the usual pull cord.

It's difficult to get a nice cut using a hole saw without using the pilot bit, unless you pre-cut a piece of ply to get a decent start the multi tool back box cutter is far easier imo.

Arbors are available for this very purpose, which use a holesaw for original size as a pilot.

They're great provided the hole needs to be enlarged by more that a few mms.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock