Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's difficult to get a nice cut using a hole saw without using the pilot bit, unless you pre-cut a piece of ply to get a decent start the multi tool back box cutter is far easier imo.
Sorry don’t understand your question. I was just suggesting cutting an access hole into the plasterboard.

Many ways to do this two as suggested by BrianMoooore above, used both methods, never needed a special arbor to do it, most standard arbours will take two hole saws.

Many ways to do this two as suggested by BrianMoooore above, used both methods, never needed a special arbor to do it, most standard arbours will take two hole saws.
Now i'm confused. I've never seen an arbour that will let you attach two hole saws at the same time?

Now i'm confused. I've never seen an arbour that will let you attach two hole saws at the same time?
Some do, some don’t. Just depends on the length of the threaded part.
As per post #5904, Starret make something specifically for this, it's called an Oops Arbour. CK also do one. It replaces the pilot bit and means you enlarge a hole by using the original size holesaw as the pilot. Best use I've found for it is changing from the old spring downlights which are 64mm hole to the more modern versions which are anything from 70mm hole and up.

No need for a fancy arbor in this instance, but holesaws aren't used exclusively to cut holes in plasterboard and not all arbors have sufficient thread to accommodate two cutters.

I can't see how you can easily start a hole in the centre of a joist, as the inner hole saw protrudes too much. ?

I wouldn't use it in those circumstance, unless the ceiling was of sufficient depth to strart the new hole without cutting into the joist.

To my mind their real value is enlarging holes in sheet metal.

Their real value is enlarging holes in plasterboard for upgraded downlighter's and that is what everyone else is posting about.
In my limited experiance the problem are holes that are too big (e.g. old R80 lamp holders) so you can fit smaller LED downlights without getting extra covers, and even those sometimes won't hid the damage of getting the original out if crusted in paint, etc. :(

In my limited experiance the problem are holes that are too big (e.g. old R80 lamp holders) so you can fit smaller LED downlights without getting extra covers, and even those sometimes won't hid the damage of getting the original out if crusted in paint, etc. :(
These are a good option for up to 100mm:

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock