uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Supporter
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Another nice junction in the loft above a newly installed Ensuite in an extension, wiring taken care of by the Builder's "electrician".

I like the strain relief, so when someone trips over the cables on the loft floor, the Wagos will keep the cables in place.

View attachment 55410
A wiska box costs a fiver and a few quid for glands and and it's sorted.

It's the kind of stuff I always have on the van as "consumables" I don't get why these things keep happening other than people not having the right gear to do the job and not being arsed to go to Screwfix.

Baddegg

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
What’s under the paper bag.....?
Old single socket and metal back box......easily accessible after removing carpet...hardboard sheets.....paper sheets and then using 2 crow bats and a hammer 😂....did me a favour though really as I was extending the rfc, took one side straight up into my new socket and then ran a new leg to my next sockets..

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
nah. from Knotty Ash. where the jam butty mines are. just down the road from where i was born.
I remember going to Knotty Ash stadium when Huyton played rugby there......locals from a council estate wrecked the away team coach.
This is all going at a fare wraite of nots....

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Both @Pete999 SWA inside the duct. The ground is basically made up of rock so won't be easy to bury and will never get to the required depth. Glad its not my job on this one but customer is very skilled (just built his own house) and will get it in the ground.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
Two industrial units. Namely Unit 1 and Unit 2... Used to be all one site with one electric supply, but now split.
Unit 1 has had a sub meter put in to measure the electric Unit 2 uses until they get a dedicated supply put in by Scottish Power.

I think the installer got a little mixed up....
2661C425-4AD1-4B7D-89D2-ABB66BC2CEFD.jpeg

5999095F-1654-451E-AD67-38B2AB7990E3.jpeg

SparkySy

-
Arms
Esteemed
Got to love a ---- house mechanic! Not only did he rip the fuse holder out of the spur completely so the fuse was accessible he then proceeded to put his balanced flue across the front of it! Then he decided to find out how waterproof the electrics were with a loosely fitted compression elbow!:(IMG_20200225_1559066.jpgIMG_20200225_1559199.jpg

A little bit of DIY Derek pelmet lighting. 30A rewirable at the C.U. not downrated in the FCU supplying the dishwasher and switched neutral . Found several of these.8084DF3F-1053-415D-A94B-957E724A0403.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
GBDamo...are you suggesting that copper pipes are insufficient to prevent collapse of cables in a fire?
Surely that plumbing would hold the cables up?
Why else would the sparky have left those cables as they are?
LOL!

GBDamo

-
Supporter
GBDamo...are you suggesting that copper pipes are insufficient to prevent collapse of cables in a fire?
Surely that plumbing would hold the cables up?
Why else would the sparky have left those cables as they are?
LOL!
It's just one of those "where to start" pictures.

It's as if they have read chapter 52 and made a real effort to contravene the lot.

Support, none existant
Separation, a clean sweep.

Was looking for a fault, fortunately it was elsewhere.

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Got sent these yesterday by the tenant. Refuses to use the off peak storage heaters. Instead they use an old oil filled radiator. They're slowly working their way around the house burning out all the sockets!
IMG_20200307_212912.jpegIMG_20200307_212939.jpeg

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Most oil filled rads are only 2kw, wouldn’t expect that to cause issues unless there are other problems like bad plug or sockets been damaged by child proof plug things.

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Most oil filled rads are only 2kw, wouldn’t expect that to cause issues unless there are other problems like bad plug or sockets been damaged by child proof plug things.
It's either 2 or 2.5kW. I dont really recall it very well as I haven't been in the house for over a year. The issue is they run it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We've seen similar to this with the EV adapters people are using to home charge without a dedicated EV charger unit; where the charger is left on for 8/9 hours per day.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
#2939: I see the problem.... they’ve had a smart meter fitted.... idiots.

no. It’s the piece of clear polythene being used as some form of IP barrier. If they had used an opaque black sheet of plastic instead, you wouldn’t be able to see the rubbish underneath.

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I assume that is another crazy meter installation by British Gas?
Hmmm I can't confirm totally as the owner has just taken possession of the property and the electricity supplier is as yet unconfirmed. I have managed to find out on the web that BG supply the gas though so it seems likely. The meter install looks very recent.

pc1966

Arms
Esteemed
Is #2939 a major fail against the regs as there is a switch in the "earth conductor" due to the bizarre way it has been installed?
(OK it should kill the power as well, but...)

Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

View attachment 28495

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

View attachment 28495
seen something similar in a riser on new build student flats i was working on. mechanical fitters stuck pipes in front of box so they could only open door on switchgear about 3 inches. kept mouth shut so they would sort it on snag list at end after i had left the job. sometimes gets fedup with sorting someone else's cock ups.😁

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
I got a bit of a shock off this instructional from A Well Known Electrician. I may need to have a stiff drink and a lie down.
CE3AD74F-9C29-4564-AB07-58335B572038.png

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
That’s ok... if he’s coming up to a socket, for example... then sideways to another
Agreed.
Unfortunately, seems he’s made the first hole and run cables up and then decided the outlet can’t be placed there due to a structural support behind the plaster. No worries :)

marconi

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Another nice junction in the loft above a newly installed Ensuite in an extension, wiring taken care of by the Builder's "electrician".

I like the strain relief, so when someone trips over the cables on the loft floor, the Wagos will keep the cables in place.

View attachment 55410
And 'the devil may care attitude' that all WAGO lever arms are down to properly clamp the conductors safely and well.

littlespark

-
Arms
Esteemed
The brown was the sw/live. Neutrals in the back of the switch.
I can’t remember, but I think the cpc was attached to the screw holding the lamp holder in place

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
Was asked to PA test a lathe in a workshop this week.
This is the pretty sight at the rear:
lathe 1.jpg
No cover on it, and the previous PASS label is just out of shot...
The 2 cpcs on the bolt are a bit of .75mm flex and a bit of 1mm in a black sheath.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
I tidied it up a bit with what I had in my bag, but need to return to gland the top left cable which is the incoming supply. Actually, it needs to be replaced as the current cable is black rubber sheath with rubber insulation on the cores, and the wires are fine stranded silver coloured which when scraped, do not reveal copper underneath, so I guess a new length of cable is the way forward.
lathe 2.jpg
and before anyone shouts at me, I know the blues in the bottom Wago should have been trimmed further...

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
That's a lot better than how it was!

The only thing I was thinking is that the nut on the earth stud is tightened on to plastic.

pirate

-
Arms
Esteemed
DPG, I can see what you mean, however the earth stud protrudes into the box through a hole drilled in the back. The stud is bolted to the metal casing, then there is a second nut on top, which protrudes even further into the box.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Patron
DPG, I can see what you mean, however the earth stud protrudes into the box through a hole drilled in the back. The stud is bolted to the metal casing, then there is a second nut on top, which protrudes even further into the box.
Ah I've just looked closer. I didn't realise you made a clearance hole in the enclosure. I thought the nut was clamping down on it.

Julie.

Arms
Esteemed
Maybe some warnings?

Safety earth do not remove...

Caution, This installation has wiring colours two two versions....

Warning, multiple supplies....

Warning, this installation should be periodically tested....

This installation or part of it is protected by a device which automatically switches off...

This installation or part of it is protected by a surge protection device, which should be periodically....

Warning, may contain nuts...

Warning, stairs may go down as well as up...

Just the normal plethora of labels that have to be added...

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to Dodgy trade pic's for your amusement! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Electrical Forum 26
J Electrical Forum 7
G Electrical Forum 16
JK-Electrical Electrical Forum 61
AlmondSauce Electrical Forum 15
Top Bottom